Will the Fat Cells Stay Gone or Do They Eventually Come Back?

They don't come back unless you gain a lot of weight

+1
Fat cells that have been removed will not come back, unless you gain an excess amount of weight. Fat cells can enlarge in size and when they get too big, they can split up as well to create new fat cells. For this reason, it's best to maintain a healthy weight after surgery to maintain your results.

Liposuction and fat cells

+1

The current theory is that the removed fat cells never regenerate. However, the remaining fat cells can grow or enlarge if you overeat and/or gain weight. I encourage my patients to try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep their weight within 5 to 10 lbs of their weight at the time of the liposuction.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and fat removal

+1

I assume that you are talking about fat cells after liposuction.  Fat cells that are removed do not come back in that area that were suctioned.

Liposuction removes the fat cells but leaves some intact

+1

Liposuction purposely never removes all the fat cells as this would create an unsatisfactory cosmetic result. The fat cells that are left can overenlarge if your diet were to consume more fat than it should.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction and Fat Cells

+1

Liposuction removes fat cells.  However, the remaining cells can still grow if you gain weight.  So liposuction is a contouring procedure.  However, it DOES NOT PREVENT YOU FROM GAINING WEIGHT.  You still need to have  healthy diet and continue exercise.  Liposuction is a "second chance" at having a nice body.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Do fat cells removed stay gone?

+1

I tell my patients that the fat I remove changes their shape by removing those fat cells. However, if they gain large amounts of weight, those other cells can get big but not in the same shape.