Fat Cell Culture and Buttock Augmentation?

Is it possible to harvest and culture fat cells to be used in buttock augmentation instead of fat transfer and implants ?

Fat Cell Culture Not Available for Buttock Augmention

+1

Fat Cell Replication commercially in the laboratory is currently not available. You can bank your fat for later use, however this has some risk and the survival would not be a great as fresh transfer.

Fat cell culture for buttock augmentation?

+1

At the present time fat cell culture is not available, and probably will not be so for many years. The preferred present day technique for the buttcok augmentation is using one's own fat for transplantation. It is a relatively safe procedure which creates a very natural result.

George Lefkovits, MD

Buttock Augmentation Options

+1

Although It is possible to grow fat cells in culture, it is not available on a commercial basis at this point for buttock augmentation.

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere.   There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs causing serious problems breathing. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred.  This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflamation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I prefer to insert the implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%.  Hope this helps…RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Brazilian Butt lift

+1

Tissue culture to grow large amount of fat to be transferred is not available now. May be in the next 25 years.