Fat Atrophy After IPL?

If fat atrophy has already occured, is there any way to reverse or correct the damage? After receiving 3 IPL treatments, my skin texture has become very leathery and my pores are permanently dilated. I've always had larger pores around my nose, but never on my lower cheeks. The leathery texture stops where the treatments ended.

IPL should not cause fat atrophy

+1

IPL treatments : applying many different light waves on the skin all at once, with a flash!  Used to treat superficial skin imperfections.

IPL energy only goes a short distance into the skin and deals with problems there. Pigmentation  and superficial blood vessels are reduced or eliminated.

Pigment and blood vessels deep in the skin are not treated.

IPL treats pigment and this is why it is not used if you are dark skinned naturally or because of a tan......it could cause a burn.

I don't know why your skin would become leathery or your pores dilated after IPL. Perhaps the IPL was too strong for your skin and caused some fine scar tissue to be blended throughout the treated areas?

Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to tell from the picture

+1

It appears as if you have acne scarring.  This can be treated very successfully by injections of Juvederm or Restylane.  Additionally you might want to think about laser resurfacing.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon