I Have Fat Under Each Arm Pit. How Can I Get Rid of Them?

Liposuction and fat under the armpit

+2

You must rule out axillary breast tissue when there are lumps under the armpit. Usually when you palpate axillary breast tissue you'll feel chords and it will feel firmer than fat. This is usually present under the hair bearing area of the axilla. The area next to the breast is usually fatty tissue and liposuction works in this area this is in the non-hair bearing area under the arm and to the side of the breast.

Axillary breast tissue should be excised because it is breast tissue and you can get a breast cancer in this tissue like any other breast tissue but it cannot be checked by mammogram. The fatty tissue to the side of the breast and the non-hair bearing area usually responds well to liposuction.

Fat vs Breast Tissue in 'Axillary Breasts'

+2

Most of the time when one refers to 'fat in or under the armpit' , they are speaking of fullness at the top of the bra around the strap creating what is often called 'axillary breasts'. Most of the time this is not true breast tissue but simply fat as it is sitting above the pectoralis muscle.  This can be removed very effectiveliy by liposuction. If the fullness is more towards the inner aspect of the armpit below the edge of the pectoralis muscle then it may be real breast tissue. This needs to be removed by direct excision with a resultant scar as opposed to liposuction.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

"Fat" Under Axillary Area?

+2

It would behoove you to be examined in person by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. This examination will be critical in determining the best course of action.

For example, if the area  consists of “fat” then liposuction may be an option depending on the skin elasticity overlying the area).  If the skin elasticity is not sufficient then direct excision of skin and underlying adipose tissue may be necessary.

If the area of concern, on the other hand, consists of breast ( axillary tail of Spence)  that liposuction  will likely not be effective and direct excision of the breast tissue and overlying skin will likely be necessary to achieve the desired results.

Again, examination by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is indicated.

Fat under my arm – help!

+1

the fat under the arm is either fat itself or possibly an excess amount of breast tissue. In either event, liposuction helps very much with removal of the excess fat, and if this is gland then an actual surgical excision is necessary because liposuction cannot remove breast tissue. Usually the fullness in the armpit or above the breast is very straightforward true move with liposuction and can augment the appearance of a tummy tuck or improve the final result of breast augmentation.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

I Have Fat Under Each Arm Pit. How Can I Get Rid of Them?Answer:

+1

There are A LOT of women that complain of this and I have found Lipo works great in almost all cases. The most common area is the front part of the armpit that kind of squishes out of the top side of the bra and again, Lipo does great in this spot!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Removing Fat from the underarm area

+1

If there is excess fatty tissue in the axilla (armpit), this is typically a combination of fat and breast tissue.  It is often possible to treat this area by removing the excess fatty tissue with liposuction.  If there is a component of excess / loose skin, it may be necessary to remove this excess skin as well.  I frequently perform this type of procedure in conjunction with other aesthetic surgical procedures including breast surgery and other areas of liposculpture.

Sean A. Simon, MD

+1

The thing that you have to realize about "fat" under each arm pit is that it is not all fat.  Some of that can certainly be fat.  However, a lot of the time, some of the "fat" is actually breast tissue.  This is where a physical examination is needed.  If it is mostly fat, you can get good improvement with liposuction.  If there is a lot of breast tissue, it will need to be surgically removed.  In this case, some skin can be removed as well to help improve the contour.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Removing fat from under the axillae (armpit)

+1

It is not an uncommon problem to see excess fat in the axillary region (under the armpit).  It is most often corrected with liposuction alone.  If the skin has good elasticity it will contract down and give a nice contour.  By  maintaining your weight, you should not have a problem with that area again.  If there is also loose skin in the area, then an excision of the skin and fat might be necessary to get the optimal result.   

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Fat Under Each Arm

+1

It depends on what's in that "fat" - is it breast tissue, fat and/or excess skin?  The relative contributions of each will help determine how this can be addressed.  Most likely, you can have a dramatic improvement with liposuction alone (maybe not perfect, but it's a relatively small procedure to go through, at least in terms of scarring).  If there is too much excess skin, whether now or after a lipo, you may need to have that removed (surgically; which will leave a scar).  The best approach depends on what you look like and what you're willing to have done, and those are things you need to talk to a PS about.  I would suggest you visit a few (at least 2-3) plastic surgeons in your area to see what is recommended.  At that point, you'll be able to make the most appropriate decision for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Getting Rid under under Armpit Fat

+1

Under armpit "fat" can be different things and its handling would depend on its exact location, the nature of the pocket and of the skin. You are mosrt likely referring to the extension or the (axillary) tail of Spence / tail of the breast. In some cases it can be liposuctioned, in other cases it may need to be surgically removed to get a smooth contour.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD