Fascia and Ear Cartilage for Dorsal Augmentation

I got a sec. rinoplasthy to fix a too low nasal dorsum. The doctor used crushed cartilage and temporalis fascia. Im in the 10th post operation day, and Im not pleased at all with the results and at this point. The area between the eyebrows became huge, giving me a "elephant look" face. He said that its just fascia in this radix area and it will do down. I dont know why he put it there since this area was good before. Will it reabsorb? Can it be swelling thats making it look like this?

Radix grafts

+3

SInce you are only 10 days out from surgery, I would give it time to heal  and for the swelling to go down.

Catilage and Fascia Graft for Dorsal Augmentation

+2

Crushed cartilage wraped in fascia is an excellent graft for dorsal augmentation. With time you will know how much of the fullness in your radix is swelling and how much is the actual graft. Hopefully, both you and your surgeon will be satisfied. 

Fullness after Dorsal Augmentation with Fascia

+2

Ten days after surgery is still very early in the post-operative period and swelling is to be expected at this stage. Generally, when fascia is used the swelling actually lasts longer than usual. But over the next few weeks the swelling should slowly subside. As long as there is no redness or extreme pain in this localized area, I would be patient at this point since it is very early to judge. 

Sarmela Sunder, MD

Radix graft fullness can be from swelling

+2

At this early stage in the healing process I would expect there to be quite a bit of swelling to the radix graft area.

Knowing how much tissue was placed in the area, your surgeon would have the best idea of how much improvement to expect.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty and Radix area take time to heal

+2
You will have a significant amount of swelling at 10 days out from your rhinoplasty. My opinion is that these grafts cause even more swelling than a regular rhinoplasty. Be patient, this will look much better over the next few weeks. Remember, we don't do a rhinoplasty so you look good at 10 days, we do a rhinoplasty so you look good for the rest of your life.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

ivone:

Because you are 10 days after revision rhinoplasty, and because a pocket had to be developed for the graft, I would expect swelling to be present in that area. So my observations on the pictures you posted may not be true as the swelling goes down in the next several days weeks.

It appears that the graft is too high and too thick. At the top the graft is blunting the natural break between the nose and the forehead, and from below you still have an area that is depressed compared to the graft.

Again, swelling can make a lot of things appear differently. You should have major improvement in the next 4-6 wks if this is swelling. If no real changes occur it is more probable that it is the graft thickness and position that is accounting for your concerns.

Close follow up with your surgeon and perhaps a another opinion from a local and experienced facial plastic s surgeon will give you a more definite answer.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radix augmentation and Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi ivone1985-

Crushed cartilage and fascia are good materials for augmentation of the radix. It may be possible that the graft moved up from its' original position, giving the appearance of fullness between the eyebrows.  As the swelling goes down your surgeon should be able to determine this. If the graft has moved then it will need to be repositioned.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radix grafting

+2

Temporalis fascia and cartilage are good options for radix grafting.  Based on the photos that you have shown, the radix appears to have been overaugmented; however, some of this is undoubtedly swelling and even possibly a collection of blood in the area.  I would wait for a few months, but you should discuss your concerns openly with your surgeon.  Steroid injections could be considered for this area during the few month waiting period.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

Although it is only the 10th post-op day, I think that some of fullness in the naso-frontal angle is swelling and some is too much fascia. I believe that even if you wait 6 months to a year for the swelling to go down, you will probably want some of the fullness removed. It almost appears as though it is infected.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

The technique your surgeon used is an excellent way to build up the dorsum of the nose.  The area always swells fairly significantly and commonly looks over done.  At 10 days, you are still in the time frame of maximum swelling.  As with all rhinoplasties, patience is essential.  Have faith and see your surgeon with your concerns.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD