Breasts Far Apart 3 Weeks After Lift with Implants

I had vertical breast lift with augmentation, implants placed under the muscle with 240 cc moderate profile saline implants. it has been 3 weeks since surgery, but my implants are sitting under my arms. I've seen questions about the implants sitting too high, but not far apart. Will this get better and is there any way to help them move more to the center of my chest?

Too Much of a Separation between Breasts after Augmentation/Lift

+2

In a breast Augmentation the location of the nipple largely determines the location of the implant. Doing otherwise will result in a nipple which is not centered on top of the new breast.

This fact frustrates a lot of women who think that their CLEAVAGE (the distance between bra supported breasts) can be narrowed regardless of the location and asymmetry of distantly placed nipples. The only way to narrow the cleavage is through the use of larger based implants which then shorten the distance. However, the wider based the implant, as its central edge nears the other implant, its lateral edge comes out from under the desired breast/muscle cover (revealing its ripples) and it begins sliding off the sloping chest resulting in the undesired sideways falling breast. So a middle ground must be reached.

With a Breast Augmentation lift (Augmentation Mastopexy), the situation is even more complex. In addition to the above considerations, the surgeon needs to tailor and lift the sagging breasts to a more natural, higher position on the chest. With luck and skill he/she may be able to place the breasts at their "pre-sag" location or slightly better. But if your breasts are small (little volume) and were always far apart, most likely that is where they will end up.

But, there is a possibility that the side pockets for the implants were slightly over-done resulting in this appearance. Without your before and after we cannot really say.

Without photographs it is hard to say anything more. I am sure the breasts will look a lot better in the weeks to come. I would continue to interact and listen to your Plastic surgeon.

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast implants position changes with time

+2

It is best to keep communicating with your doctor and learn from their experience. You are early post op and the tissue may need to stretch. This may be a risk of the submuscular placement of the implants.

The dissection to get the implants to the midline is tenuous and the muscle will potentially be pulling the implants to the side if not adequately released. Your plastic surgeon should be able to discuss with you if this is something that will resolve over time. If no resolution in 6 months, consider asking your doctor for options to improve the implant position.

Kimberley O'Sullivan, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Implants lateral

+1

If your implants are fairly wide, you may have had pockets that were made too wide.  You may need a revision.

Too lateral breast implants after augmentation mastopexy may need revision

+1

The position of implants is somewhat determined by the preoperative shape of a woman's breasts, but it sounds like your implant pockets are too lateral and may need to be revised as the implant position is unlikely to change favorably with time. If a woman's breasts naturally point outward, then positioning the implants too much toward the midline in attempt to create cleavage will cause the nipples to point out even more. However, when a lift is performed at the same time, there is some some leeway in shifting the nipples to more favorable positions on the newly created breast mounds, though there are obviously limits as to how much the nipples can moved. Allow a few months of healing before undertaking a revision.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Too Far Apart

+1

It may sound as though you implants have fallen off the center of your chest from your description.  This is a potential issue that happens over time.  You may need a breast revision to center the implants over your breast again.

The one thing I must say here is that some women expect cleavage after a breast procedure who anatomically can never have cleavage because of the way their breasts are positioned on their chest.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast lift with breast implants should look centered.

+1

Hi.

Just going by your description and my experience, it does not sound good. During your breast lift with breast implants, the implant pockets may be too lateral. This does not usually self correct. You may need a revision in a few months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breasts and implants far apart (wide cleavage) after augmentation.

+1

Although implants tend to descend with time they rarely get closer. Occasionally swelling between the breasts can make them seem far apart and this can resolve with time. In other instances, constricted breasts may take time to develop inner fullness after radial relaxing incisions and implant placement.

Big gap between breast implants

+1

A big gap between breast implants usually comes from choosing ones whose base width is not enough for your chest wall. Wider ones will be closer to eachother.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implant needs time to settle

+1

It's only been three weeks, so first of all I suggest waiting at least another few months prior to really evaluating your results. Implants placed under the muscle really need a bit more time to settle into their final position. You can gently massage the implants towards the midline of your chest in the interim.

Keep in mind that if your breasts were far apart to begin with, implants can make this more obvious. If you still feel that your implants are too far apart, speak to your surgeon who knows your anatomy and who can guide you better. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS