Should I Take Famvir Before Surgery to Prevent Genital Herpes Outbreak?

I have genital herpes but rarely have outbreaks. I only take famvir when there is an outbreak. I am going for a brazilian butt lift using fat transfer. Should I take famvir before and after surgery to prevent an outbreak?

Herpes infection

+2

In cases like yours I put my patients on antiviral meds one week prior to surgery and continue till complete healing. Surgery is a stress and stress can cause the erruption of herpes.

Good Idea to take Antiviral Medicine before/after Surgery to Prevent Herpes Outbreak

+1

Yes, for those with a history of Herpes, I think it is a great idea to take antiviral medicines like Famvir, Zovirax, Valtrex, or Acyclovir at least a few days before surgery and for 10 days afterwards. It will either prevent or make the recurrence of a Herpes outbreak much less.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS