Should I Tell My Family I'm Considering Gastric Bypass?

I don't think my family will support me w/ getting surgery. As of right now it's not 100% I'll be approved for the surgery anyway. When should I tell them and what advice do you have for me to bring this up with them? Thank you so much!

Telling your family about gastric bypass

+1

I think it is crucial to have a strong support system prior to having any weight loss surgery specially gastric bypass. If you dont know about your coverage status I would find out if your insurance covers the procedure and if this is the case then consider discussing this with your family. Sometimes it helps to go to the bariatric surgeon with a family member to obtain accurate information.  Sometimes lack of information or incorrect information causes one to be in fear when this should not be the case.

Telling family about gastric bypass

+1

I think it is very important to have a lot of support when undergoing weight loss surgery.  It is great if you can have family support.  Some patients find it difficult to tell their family members because they feel like a failure.  It is important to remember that you not alone and that surgery is the only proven method for long-term weight loss when other methods have failed.  If your family will not support you find friends or attend support group meetings to get the support you need.