Is Tummy Tuck the Only Way? (photo)

Hi, in the last 20 months I had my second/ last child and have worked hard to lose 90 pounds from my highest weight with my first pregnancy (four years ago). I eat well and am very health minded. I run between 15 and 20 miles a week and also stay active with yoga and cycling. My stomach has become a large deflated balloon attached to my stomach, I can't seem to make it smaller or taunter... Is a tummy tuck the only way to make my stomach match the rest of my body, or should I just be patient?

Tummy tuck?

+2

The only way to get you a good result would be to have a full tummy tuck.  It will not get better on its own or with ex recipe or weight loss.  Sorry, that's the bad news. the good news is that you can expect a really nice result from a tummy tuck!  good luck!

Is Tummy Tuck the Only Way?

+2

Great work on the weight loss. You have done what you can do. There is nothing more you can do on your own to tighten the abdominal skin that has lost its elasticity. 

A tummy tuck does three things:

• removes excess skin
  • removes excess fat
  • tightens the loosened abdominal wall muscles. 

I don't see much in the way of excess fat but the excess skin would be removed, and the abdominal muscles tightened, restoring your abdomen to close to the pre-pregnancy contour. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Tummy tuck is the only way to handle excess abdominal skin

+2

Congratulations on all your hard work!  What you are dealing with at this point is excess skin on your stomach and probably separated abdominal muscles (that would require a front picture to determine).  All the diet and exercise in the world will not correct this issue - as you have no doubt found out.  You have done your part - you have lost the baby weight and are focused on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  If you want a flat stomach at this point, you will need to consider a full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  During this procedure, your plastic surgeon will remove excess abdominal skin and tighten the underlying muscles.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Is Tummy Tuck the Only Way?

+2

Yes yes a thousand times yes. Just read the previous posters responses. Seek IN PERSON evaluations to fully understand. 

TT

+2

Based on your pictures and description, a TT is the best way I know of to address the issue of the excess skin. I would be very careful about letting anyone convince you to try anything else like lasers etc. 

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C) 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Options after weight loss and pregnancy

+2

Based on your description and history, it sounds as though a tummy tuck would be the best option for you.  After the amount of weight loss you have had as well as multiple pregnancies, the skin of your abdomen no longer has the elasticity to return to its original size.  Exercising and liposuction will not help this.  This extra skin needs to be removed to allow for a tighter abdomen.  Make sure you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

Tummy tuck and options

+2

Given your photo and your history of a 90 lb. weight loss along with two previous pregnancies, I believe some form of a tummy tuck would be your best option.  Liposuction alone will not address the loose, hanging skin and will not help the stretched abdominal wall muscles.  Both of these issues can only be corrected with a tummy tuck. Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+2

Yes, a tummy tuck / full abdominoplasty is what you need.  No amount of exercise, non-invasive procedures or liposuction would make your skin contract enough for a desirable outcome. The only way to achieve a flat abdomen with reduction of the hanging skin is with a full abdominoplasty.  From the picture, it looks like you are a good candidate, however, you would need to be seen in person for a complete consultation and health history.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

A tummy tuck will be needed to eliminate excess skin

+2

Thank you for the question and photo.

We can loose weight and build muscle through diet and exercise but we can tighten skin that has lost it's elasticity without actually removing it.  I suspect that if you waited you would not see much change to the amount of skin laxity.  A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure will remove the excess skin and can also be used to tighten the abdominal wall and remove additional excess fat if needed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Am I a Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Most women who have had pregnancies or weight loss develope loose abdominal skin, stretch marks, and weak abdominal muscles. Exercise or Liposuction does not fix this. the only answer is a tummy tuck

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS