Nose Got Wide After Hump Removal? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty in the States more than 10 years ago to remove a hump. After surgery my nose got wide at the base with a bulbous tip and doesn’t fit my face. The doctor who performed my surgery offered to do a revision but I couldn't trust him again with my nose. I have been to a few doctors for consultations and the last two think I would possibly need cartilage graft. Why my nose got wider after hump removal? What do you think should be done to correct the problem? thanks

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Don't jump to judgement about your plastic surgeon too quickly without the facts...

+1

HI,

First off, your nose does not look like a botched nosejob so there is no reason not to trust the original surgeon.  But the results depend on the "starting point" of your nose.  You did not show us any BEFORE pictures.  Only AFTERS.  The judgement of the results depends on the BEFORE pictures.  This could be an amazing nosejob result or a so-so one depending on what your nose looked like before.  

However, I can tell you several things.  If you had a hump or bump on the nose, removing that can make the front view seem wider.  That is not abnormal in many patients.  Breaking the bones to narrow the nose is important but removing the hump, removes a steep part of the nose where light would reflect off of and makes the light reflex wider and softer.  

Also, you have thick skin just based on these pictures and the thicker skin will limit how much definition you can achieve. 

I do agree your tip is larger than Id like to see for your face and your nostrils are asymmetric but again this depends on the starting point 10 years ago.  

Do your homework carefully and find the right surgeon and have the right expectations.  Many will promise you things that may not be realistic or possible.  

Web reference: http://www.virginiarhinoplasty.com/

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose got wide after hump removal?

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Reasons why the
nose became wider following hump removal may include the following:

1) An open roof deformity occurred
2) You had some type of nasal trauma in the time since your surgery

Were osteotomies performed along with your hump removal? Depending on the
circumstances of the patient, an open roof deformity can occur if osteotomies
are not performed during surgery. An in-person exam would really be necessary to
provide you with advice. I would recommend consulting with a board certified
rhinoplasty surgeon, as they will be able to examine your nose and provide you
with advice. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastycharlotte.com/rhinoplasty-surgery/revision-rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Got Wide After Hump Removal?

+2

Hump removal should not affect tip width or nostril symmetry.  Your nose has a little nostril asymmetry.  The bulbous nature of the nose can likely be improved as well as the subtle dorsal irregularity.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

It is very important to have  specific goals in mind prior to undergoing a revision rhinoplasty. The bulbous tip can be best addressed with  suturing techniques of the  tip cartilages, while wide nostrils are best addressed with an alar plasty. There are  many different types of cartilage grafts, and there used to either build out the nose or give structural integrity to a certain part of the nose when needed. Not all revision rhinoplasties requires cartilage grafts.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty_photos24.html

Bulbous tip and Wide Dorsum

+2

Hi,

If your nose got wider after a hump removal, you may have an open roof deformity - difficult to say without examining you. Also you can get some more refinement in your tip by using techniques to refine a bulbous tip. See link below.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.facechange.org/plastic-surgery-educational-videos.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.