Nose Got Wide After Hump Removal? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty in the States more than 10 years ago to remove a hump. After surgery my nose got wide at the base with a bulbous tip and doesn’t fit my face. The doctor who performed my surgery offered to do a revision but I couldn't trust him again with my nose. I have been to a few doctors for consultations and the last two think I would possibly need cartilage graft. Why my nose got wider after hump removal? What do you think should be done to correct the problem? thanks

Nose got wide after hump removal?

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Reasons why the
nose became wider following hump removal may include the following:

1) An open roof deformity occurred
2) You had some type of nasal trauma in the time since your surgery

Were osteotomies performed along with your hump removal? Depending on the
circumstances of the patient, an open roof deformity can occur if osteotomies
are not performed during surgery. An in-person exam would really be necessary to
provide you with advice. I would recommend consulting with a board certified
rhinoplasty surgeon, as they will be able to examine your nose and provide you
with advice. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Got Wide After Hump Removal?

+2

Hump removal should not affect tip width or nostril symmetry.  Your nose has a little nostril asymmetry.  The bulbous nature of the nose can likely be improved as well as the subtle dorsal irregularity.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bulbous tip and Wide Dorsum

+2

Hi,

If your nose got wider after a hump removal, you may have an open roof deformity - difficult to say without examining you. Also you can get some more refinement in your tip by using techniques to refine a bulbous tip. See link below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is very important to have  specific goals in mind prior to undergoing a revision rhinoplasty. The bulbous tip can be best addressed with  suturing techniques of the  tip cartilages, while wide nostrils are best addressed with an alar plasty. There are  many different types of cartilage grafts, and there used to either build out the nose or give structural integrity to a certain part of the nose when needed. Not all revision rhinoplasties requires cartilage grafts.