My vagina is brown and hangs. Is this normal? (Photo)

I've been really self conscious about this forever. But my inner labia hang out way further than the rest and are discolored. I am still a virgin.

My vagina is brown and hangs. Is this normal?

+1
Based upon your pictures and description, I think that labial reduction would be reasonable.

Inner Labia that Hang Down

+1
Reducing the length of the inner labia that hang down is the purpose of a labiaplasty. Having elongated labia is common, and sometimes women with labia that long enough to become twisted or pinched experience pain. 

There is a very high satisfaction rate among the labiaplasty patients in my practice. They often comment that they they feel less self-conscious about their appearance, that the procudure has a positive impact on their self-esteem, and that it also has a positive effect on intimacy.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for labioplasty

+1
Your anatomy is well within "normal" but that doesn't mean you can't alter it if you are not happy with the appearance or if the redundant labia are uncomfortable in certain clothing.  LAbioplasty is a relatively simple procedure with minimal risks when done by an experienced surgeon.

Mary Gingrass, MD

Labiaplasty indications

+1
Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy). Based upon your photos, your anatomy as well is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and turns out to be a huge (sexual) self-confidence booster after.
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically 7-8 mm actually. To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best. It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible. Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome. Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty for Brown, Hanging Inner Labia Minora

+1

It appears from the pictures, that you may be a good candidate for labiaplasty. This can often be done in the office under local anesthesia with a relatively quick recovery.  You don't have to live with it.

I have included a web reference with more information and detailed recovery instructions.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS