Fair-Haired Blonde - Is It Possible I Have Thick Skin and am a Bad Rhinoplasty Candidate?

I Am a Fair Haired Blonde Person but a Plastic Surgeon Told Me I Had Thick Skin and Can Expect Limited Results from Rhinoplasty. I thought only Asians, African Americans and darker skinned people had thick skin. I'm confused.

Does thick skin limit the results of a rhinoplasty?

+2

The thickness of the skin does effect the results of a rhinoplasty.  You are correct that this quality tends to be related to ethnicity but it is possible to have fair hair and thick skin.  Just because you have thick skin does not mean that you can not have aesthetic nasal surgery, nor that you will get poor results.  It just means that it will effect the results and you have to be willing to accept the limitations.  If you are doubtful about this surgeon's assessment, by all means obtain a second opinion.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in Patients with Thick Skin

+1

Hair color does not determine skin thickness. I have seen thick skin in patients of all ethnic backgrounds. Your surgeon is being honest in trying to establish reasonable expectations for your rhinoplasty surgery - thick skin will influence your final result.

Thick skinned and rhinoplasty

+1

Without an exam I can not tell you if you have thick skin or not.  If you do , and have alot of concerns about your nasal tip, then it may be hard to refine it as much as you  might like.

Thick skinned rhinoplasty patient

+1

Hello thick skinned rhinoplasty patient from Boston.  Thick skin can be good and bad.  It does not, at all, mean that you won't benefit from a rhinoplasty, you may still have a desirable outcome.  On one hand your thick skin may require your surgeon to overaccentuate some of the maneuvers to produce your desired outcome, but on the otherhand your thick skin will tend to camouflage any minor imperfections and edges of cartilage that may show through thin skinned patients.  Best of luck to you! 

Mark Ginsburg, DO
Media Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Very possible but hard to see over the internet as to your skin type. Best to see boarded PS's in Boston, there are many. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Can a fair-haired blonde have thick skin?

+1

There can be quite a range of skin types across all ethnicities and skin tones. Your skin has to be examined in person to get a true assessment.

Even if you do have thicker nasal skin, that doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't have a rhinoplasty. There are different levels of "thick skin" and it also depends on what you're trying to achieve. Thick skin can make it harder (though not necessarily impossible) to get tip refinement with a rhinoplasty.

Thick skin can more commonly limit how much "downsizing" one could do during a rhinoplasty. That is, if we make the nose too small the overlying skin may not adequately shrink wrap over the smaller nasal framework. This would result in an amorphous nose that would likely look worse than what you started with.

Another variable in the thick skin equation is patient age. Younger skin tends to shrink wrap better than older skin.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Thick skin and the results of rhinoplasty

+1

I have seen thick skin in all skin types and yes thicker skin can limit the result of a rhinoplasty.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in fair skinned patients.

+1

Rhinoplasty in fair skinned patients are usually normal skin contracture. I would have to feel the skin to give you an honest appraisal. There are slightly, moderately, and heavy thick skinned patients.

Fair-Haired Blonde & Thick Skin?

+1

Yes, this is possible. Although it is more common in particular ethnic groups, any given individual within any ethnic group may have thick nasal skin. However, that does not mean it is impossible to achieve your aesthetic goals.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Thickness and Rhinoplasty

+1

Skin thickness is a very important component to rhinoplasty results.  If the skin is too thick it can smooth out the aesthetic definition that many find attractive - especially in the tip region.  On the other hand, thin skin can reveal too much of the underlying support structures and edges - this may also be unattractive.  In some, this "thick skin" can actually include an extra thick layer of fat.  I these individuals, I will carefully remove some of this fat to achieve better definition.  I would recommend another 2 or 3 consultations with Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and get additional opinions. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon