Fainting After Lipo. Compression Garment Is A Trigger. Is This Normal?

I had liposuction on my thighs 10 days ago. I am 5'7" and before surgery, 180lbs, 29 years old. 4600cc were removed. Since the surgery, I am having difficulty with fainting when removing the compression garment The only way I can regain consciousness is to lay flat. During the day, while wearing the garment, I feel very out of it. How long before my body can "replenish" what was taken? I'm getting very discouraged. My recovery is nothing like I thought it would be.

Fainting after Liposuction

+1

What you are experiencing is not normal and you should be evaluated to rule out serious issues such as severe dehydration, anemia, pulmonary complications/ hypoxia, or cerebrovascular embolic phenomenon etc. Follow up with your operating plastic surgeon ASAP.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_liposuction.htm

Fainting After Liposuction

+1

It is common to get light-headed after large volume liposuction with removal of the garment.  Especially if you decide to stand immediately following.  As the garment is removed, all the compressed blood vessels are instantly opened and blood will rush to these areas. With less blood flow to the head, you will get lightheaded and possible faint if this isn't done slowly or with care. Ten days out (eve with 4600 cc removed) could be a concern and should be brought to the attention of your doctor sooner than later to ensure there is no other possible cause.  

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Fainting after liposuction

+1

Fainting spells after surgery should never be considered a normal part of your recovery.  This should prompt immediate attention by the operating surgeon for assessment and treatment.  

Web reference: http://www.drsimonplasticsurgery.com/procedures/liposculpture/

Fainting Spells After Liposuction

+1

If you are having continued fainting spells ten days post liposuction, you should really check in with your surgeon.  The amount of fat that you report being removed is a lot, and can cause massive fluid shift changes.  The compression garment may be limiting or accentuating some of that.  Whatever the case, you really should not be having those feelings a week and a half later.  I would call your surgeons office and talk to them directly about it.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon