Failed Necklift?

Is it possible for the platysma muscle to snap back to its post operative position right after a necklift. The skin on my neck and chin is loose and saggy 3 months after surgery. I have very wide stretched scars behind the ears in the area going up into the hairline. My neck is still very sore from behind the ear all the way down both sides of the neck.

Neck Lift Success: Release and Resusupend

+1

Thank you very much for writing. Unfortunately, this is a common scenario. Though neck lifts seem straightforward, these are actually complex procedures. To achieve a natural-appearing and long-lasting result, the operation must include a complete release of the hanging tissue before the "pull". In situations where the loose neck muscle (platysma) is not released from its attachments, just tightening the skin gives the exact result you describe: early recurrence with wide or stretched scars behind the ears.  This is because all of the tension of the lift is placed on the relatively weak skin, rather than on the more sturdy muscle and connective tissue layers. If you opt for revision, in my opinion, you should make sure that your surgeon understands these key concepts.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and Neck Skin Loose at 3 Months Following Necklift

+1

Chin and neck skin will loosen a few months after surgery.  A neck lift should produce significant improvement, but, if a great deal of skin laxity existed before surgery, the skin is of poorer quality and has a greater tendency to recur.

Loose skin after necklift

+1

Thank you for your question. It is common to develop some laxity after a facelift or necklift. Though the skin is initially pulled tight, it does relax a bit after a couple of months. The amount of this rebound depends on a variety of factors, including the elasticity of the skin, the quality of the underlying platysma muscle, and the technique used in the necklift.

For now, it is important to give your neck more time to heal. If there is more laxity than you are happy with, there are often options for improvement. You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who has the benefit of an exam.

Best of luck with your neck.

Jeff Rockmore

Albany Plastic Surgeon

TEchnique is everything

+1

Neck lifts can seem very simple. but they are actually one of the more difficult aspects of facial rejuvenation. This is because the neck is very prone to relaxing in the immediate period after the operation. I've adopted a deep neck lift technique which actually lifts and moves the platysma muscle into its more youthful position and then secured to the deeper tissue. I have found that this is been necessary to achieve longer lasting results. I would have to presume that she see an immediate return of bagginess to the neck that the muscle work that was done as unfortunately failed. This does not mean that something was done wrong by her surgeon but it certainly may require revision and consideration of a different technique.   I would advise speaking with your surgeon in finding out what his or her thoughts are.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose Neck Skin After Facelift

+1

Many facelift patients will experience varying degrees of rebound skin relaxation in the central neck area within the first year after surgery, particularly if they had a lot of loose neck skin/wattle initially.Whether what you are experiencing is a normal phneomenon or less than an ideal initial result in impossible to determine based on just your verbal description. I would advise that you submit some before and after pictures from your surgery to get a more comprehensive and accurate answer to your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Wide scars behind ears

+1

The scars from a facelift/necklift behind ears can get stretched a little. Too much stretching means the sutures under the skin that give support are not holding up well. Soreness can happen in the areas of the suture placement. That is temporary. The neck skin has become saggy likely form skin becoming loose since the stitches from the platysma to the back of the ear (mastoid area) have not held up. You will likely need a revision.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Failed results of neck lift.

+1

Without knowing what the surgeon did and how u look now it is impossible to tell. Ask your surgeon and if u r not satisfied get a second opinion from a very experienced facelift surgeon. 

Relapse of Skin Laxity Possible After Face/Neck Lift

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is possible for neck skin laxity to relapse 3 months after facelift surgery.  This is typically seen in smokers of patients with signficant sun damage or in some massive weight loss patients.   It is uncommon for platsymal laxity to recur after a corsett platysmaplasty is performed.  It is difficult to comment without photos and knowledge of what procedure was performed.   There are several ways to handle the platysma.  I encourage you to discuss this finding with your surgeon. He/She are likely to want to address this matter with you.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon