Can You Fade a Tattoo at Home Safely?

I understand laser tattoo removal is the best option but is there at home safe ways just to fade black ink? Thank you

Tattoo Removal At Home

+1

Most people with tattoos notice that the ink tends to fade due to regular sun exposure. This is just a natural effect that takes place. However this does not mean you should overexpose your skin to the sun in attempting to fade it. As you probably know, UV radiation contributes to premature aging and skin cancer.

Definitely consult with a board certified dermatologist to help you fade/remove your tattoo. Although there are tattoo removal creams available on the market, many of these products contain ingredients that are very toxic.

Your dermatologist has the expertise to analyze and make the right recommendations for your specific skin type.  

He or she will also be able to determine numerous variables and parameters in how your skin will react to certain treatments (e.g. safe concentration levels of certain topical treatments, safe exposure levels to laser types etc.). Attempts at tattoo removal without proper medical expertise is very risky.

Although laser removal is by far the best option, there are other types of procedures to address tattoos. Again, I must emphasize that these should only be performed by a board certified dermatologist. But if you are curious about what else exists besides lasers,  other options include chemical tattoo removal, dermabrasion and cryotherapy (freezing the area before using dermabrasion).

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon