Need FACTS About Moderate Plus and High Profile Implants?

PS told me that mod-plus and high-profile implants.. if they ever turn or move that they will distort the appearance of the breast. Said that due to them having a front, back and sides they have to stay put. Where as just the standard moderate profile stays the same shape and size no matter if it ever moves or turns. Is this true?

Moderate Plus and High Profile Implants?

+1

I rarely use anything but high profile implants in my practice. I am in California and that is what women want. I have been a surgeon for 15 years and I have not seen a "deformity" from a breast implant flipping over. I do not think you need to worry about that issue.

Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

High profile and moderate plus profile implants

+1

The implants we have today allow for a greater degree of precision and more options for patients. I mainly use high profile and moderate plus profile implants in my very narrow patients.  They are a great option.

Implant Profile should probably not be something you have to worry about

+1

Hi there-

The "higher" the profile of the implant, the smaller its diameter and the greater its projection for any given volume. So a 300cc moderate profile implant would have a larger diameter, and lower projection than a 300cc moderate plus, which would have a greater diameter and lower projection than a high profile implant.

But here's the thing- this is not to say that just because you want to look a certain way you should have any one particular profile of implant...

In fact, it is my strong opinion that the profile of the implant is NOT something that patients should be involved in deciding(other than by carefully communicating their goals for appearance), but rather it should be dictated by the patient's anatomy and her goals.

Too much information can be very confusing, and it would not be reasonable to expect you to understand the finer details and implications of these at the same level a trained and experienced surgeon does... And attempts to micro-manage your surgery will greatly increase the chances of you being unhappy, despite the fact that everything was done exactly according to the details you thought you wanted.

You are much better off finding an excellent surgeon you listens carefully to your goals, and then assists you and guides you along the path to that destination. 

I also don't agree that moderate plus implants cause problems when they flip (I cannot speak to the high profile implants, because I personally do not use them very often- they are truly only appropriate for a very small minority of patients)- the fact is that breast implants usually flip frequently in the course of living your life, and I can tell you I have never had a patient (with one of these implants) complain about their breast taking on a strange shape due to implant flipping (this did used to happen a lot with anatomic or "teardrop" shaped implants).

So in summary, I think that the implant profile that is right for you depends on your exam and your goals- but this should be determined with the guidance of an excellent and experienced surgeon.

Armando Soto, MD

High profile implant facts

+1

There is a front and back to both high profile and moderate profile breast implants, and yes, the rounder the implant the more likely it is to 'turn'. Just how often this happens is not known and even if it occurs may not be noticed. The high profile implant is 'new' in the history of augmentation and while popular, the projection and roundness after the implants have aged and a capsule sets in might make them less attractive over time. Take your time to sort out just what you think is best for you.