How Varied Are Facility and Anesthesia Fees in Plastic Surgery?

Do facility fees and anesthesia fees vary as much as surgeon fees?

I understand that surgeon fees vary widely, based on locality and stature (or perceived stature) of the surgeon.

I am wondering if facility and anesthesia fees vary as much. In Los Angeles, for a Facelift with no eye or brow work other than "eye suture elevation" and with some added facial fat injections, I was quoted $3,325 for the facility fee and $2,275 for the anesthesia fee (general anesthesia by a physician).

Not trying to price shop my facelift, just trying to understand all these various fees.

Facility fees for cosmetic surgery

+3
Fees will vary, but, they should fall within a range. The things that you should look for in your care are the competency of your anesthesiologist or anesthetist and whether the center the surgeon practices out of is an accredited one.
Patients spend significant amount of time researching their surgeon and should spend some time asking about the support staff of the surgeon during their surgical procedure.
You will not pay more because the anesthesiologist is board certified or the surgical center is an accredited one, but, you will definitely be better served and a lot safer.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery facility and anesthesia fees

+2

Facility and anesthesia fees do not vary widely in the field of plastic surgery. They are typically quoted based on the amount of time the surgical procedure takes to perform. Slower surgeons are going to have higher operatory and anesthetic fees than a surgeon who operates more expeditiously. For example, an eight-hour facelift anesthesia and facility fee will be two to three times as much as a normal two-and-a-half-hour facelift fee.

OR and Anesthesia Fees for Facial Surgery

+2

Fees do vary for anesthesia services and OR facilities. The charges you quote do seem a little high. Free standing facilities are usually cheaper than the work done in a hospital setting. Make sure the center is properly accredited. There is little difference in the fees charged by anesthesiologists or nurse anesthetists. It is better to compare total charges, including physician fees, when making financial decisions.

Anesthesia and Facility Fees vary widely for plastic surgery

+2

Like everything in medicine pricing can be varied with regards to facility fee and anesthesia. The fees you quote are higher than those in most facilities in Sacramento California, however they are within the ball park. I am sure your surgeon may have an alternative facility and anesthesia to work with however it is important to use the ones he or she feels most comfortable with as you want the best possible outcome and I am sure your surgeon has chosen the operatory for a reason.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Price variations in anesthesia and facility fees

+2

In Texas, the fees are lower. Anesthesia fees are relatively comparable, but the facility fees are very variable.   do what I can in my office, and shop at hospitals and surgery centers for the best fee. Probably more than a thousand or two dollars less here for those things.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Fees for facility and anesthesia vary

+2

Dear Doberman

Even for Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, these anesthesia and facility fees are high. Yet if you are set on your surgeon, you really have little choice but to pay the fees charged by the surgery center they wan to use. I operate at UCLA. There the facility fee for a facelift and upper eyelid surgery would be $2200. The anesthesia service charges by the hour at the rate of $300 per hour. So a facelift and eyelid surgery at the outside might run 5 hours and cost $1500 and that is UCLA.

If there is a medical issue, you are not is a private operatiing room with a single anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist. You are at a center with a dozen anesthesia personel. So fees higher than this are hard to justify. However, many of the private surgery centers are co-owned by the surgeons who operate their. Essentially they get a split of the case at the surgery centers they own. If you are not happy with the fees, see some additional surgeons. The town is filled with plastic surgeons. You have choices.

Operating room facility and anesthesia fees

+2

These fees can vary as much as the surgeon's fees since they are driven by the samefactors: fixed cost, reputation, and competition. In Beverly Hills, there is a plethora of operating room facilities and competition is keen, but the quality is also variable. The costs you mention are not out of line with might be expect for a 4-6 hour procedure.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Fees for Anesthesia and Facilities

+1
The fees for anesthesia and facilities probably vary as much as the anesthesia provider and facilities vary.  In my surgical suite a board-certified anesthesiologist remains at the bedside of my patient throughout the surgery.  This is not the cheapest way to have surgery performed. But it is what I would want for myself or my family. So, it's what I do for my patients.
One way to cut corners in pricing is with anesthesia care and facilities that may be less than pristine and state-of-the-art.  I have worked with very capable and talented CRNAs over the years. But, only with direct supervision of a board-certified anesthesiologist. Clearly, MD anesthesia will be more costly than a CRNA, or even no anesthesia provider at all.  As the owner of a surgical facility with Joint Commission and AAAASF accreditation, I can tell you that providing the highest level of care is expensive. But I treat my patients the way  Safety is not the place to cut corners.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

What is the total fee for cosmetic surgery?

+1

This is a great question and should be answered at the time of the initial consultation with an estimate in writing from the surgeon's office. Make sure you have the TOTAL fee, not just the surgeons fee. Here is a sample of the fees you could be looking at:

• Surgeon's fee
  • Facility fee
  • Anesthesia fee
  • Implant fee
  • Garment fee
  • Lab work fee
  • Mammogram fee

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia fees

+1

Anesthesia fees do vary but not wildly. It is a function of the amount of time that the surgeon has booked for surgery and the level of experience of the provider (Nurse Anesthetist vs Anesthesiologist).

Raj S. Ambay, MD