Stop Facials when I Start with Isotretinoin?

I have regular facials at a beauty salon (every 2-3 weeks). Should I stop having facials once I start taking Isotretinoin? Thank you for your help!

Yes, stop facials with isotretinoin

+2

Yes, 100% you should stop getting facials during your course of treatment, and for a few months afterwards just to be sure.

Also no facial waxing, comedone extraction, or plucking. Nothing traumatic to the skin. There is increased risk for scarring.

Stop facials while on Accutane/Isotretinoin

+1

I definitely discourage facials, peels, microdermabrasion and laser while on isotretinoin. I would say 3 months after your isotretinoin, you're fine to return to facials.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

In the right hands facials are safe during Accutane (isotrtinoin) treatment

+1

Not all facials are the same. Careful, professional extraction of acne lesions can be helpful to patients on Accutane. It's safest to work with an aesthetician in a dermatologist's office who is familiar with the effects of the drug on the skin. Avoid spas and malls. Of course, consult your doctor.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Stop Facials When on Isotretinoin (Accutane)

+1

Hold off on anything invasive during your treatment with Isotretinoin, (Accutane).  Scarring or discoloration may occur.  That being said, talk to your doctor about taking care of your skin during and after the treatment regimen. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Facials and Isotretinoin

+1

There are facials, and then there are facials...

You can continue to have facials while using Isotretinoin but it is very important that your Aesthetician is informed of this to make the appropriate changes in your treatments.  

Having a soothing, hydrating mini facial can help to ease the dryness and irritation common with Isotretinoin.  Your Aesthetician should refrain from using any type of exfoliation (scrubs, enzymes) and performing extractions.  

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Facials and Isotretinoin (Accutane)

+1

I recommend you refrain from getting facials during your course of isotretinoin treatment as well as for several months afterward. Permanent scarring or discoloration of the skin can occur with treatments including facials, waxing, acne surgery, electrolysis, and laser hair removal, during isotretinoin therapy. Speak to your dermatologist about physician-recommended and/or physician-supervised in-office treatments that can be done during isotretinoin therapy to maintain healthy skin.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Isotretinoin and Facials

+1

Permanent scarring may occur with invasive procedures during isotretinoin therapy.  However, it is important to maintain healthy and non-clogged pores during your treatment to avoid complications. Speak to your physician about a physician supervised facial without severe mechanical or chemical exfoliation.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS