Facial Scars On 22 Year Old Asian Male? (photo)

I am 22 years old male asian with a surgical scar from being mugged. I had to get 4 stitches from this incident, which left me self-conscious about my appearance. It is slightly raised as I can feel scar tissue underneath the scar, which makes it that much more noticeable. I have been to different dermatologists, but I want to hear more expert opinions before I decide on which course of action I should take. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best approach to make this scar less noticeable?

Laser skin resurfacing for forehead scars

+1

If you do not want to undergo surgery for scar revision, I would recommend a combination of pulsed dye laser and fractional co2 laser skin resurfacing.

Facial Scar Revision

+1

Scars from trauma or surgery take time to heal. It takes at least 1 year for scars anywhere on the body to fully heal. Scar are metabolically active during the first year. And, if scar revisions are done too early, the resulting scar can end up looking worse.

There are some non-surgical things to help to improve the thickness and texture of scars. Both silicone sheeting and scar massage will help to soften and flatten scars over time. You can purchase these items at you local drug store or on line. It takes at least 3 months of treatment to see the benefits.

If your scar is over a year old, then surgery is certainly an option. But, you can still try the non-surgical approach before going under the knife again.

Thank you for your question and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD