Facial Scar Care?

I had a mole removed on my face a little over a week ago. The stitches were taken out on friday and since then it has healed greatly. Simply looks like a fading pimple now. I can see the actual incision line and it is VERY thin however the scar around that skin is light pink and feel thicker. I am worried I am going to have a thick scar? Does this fade away ... is there something I can be doing to help my PS said not to do anything to it but I have been putting vitamin e oil on.

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you follow-up with your physician and address your concerns.  It is important to keep decrease sun exposure to the area as it continues to heal.  

Scar healing after mole removal

+1

The thickness is probably normal after mole removal. Ultimately, I would have your doctor look at it to see if it is okay. Steroid injections could be needed. But I would use silicone gel to help the healing and sunscreen.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

How To Take Care Of Your Facial Scar after Mole Removal

+1

I would recommend calling your Physician's office and explaining your scenario, if you haven't already. Your Physician may provide you with a different recommendation than originally given. If you call for help, then the office will also have a record of your scarring concern in the unlikely event that it does get worse. It's always a good idea to have documentation of your medical issues and concerns. Try to speak to your doctor who did the procedure and I agree that you should not put anything on it until you are advised to do so by that Physician. 

Tony Nakhla, DO
Santa Ana Dermatologist

Site of Removed Mole

+1

Your scar is still very young and sounds like it is doing very well.  Avoid rubbing or picking at the area, it will likely heal best if it is left alone to heal and kept covered and out of sun exposure.  I would avoid any vitamin E oil or other scar treatment for now.  Call your doctor if you feel like it is itchy, painful or there is an expanding area of redness around the area--this may mean an infection or allergic reaction.  Otherwise, it sounds normal!

Chynna Steele, MD
Roswell Dermatologist

Mole removal one week ago

+1

It sounds as though your scar is healing normally.  If your PS said to leave it alone, follow his instructions and stop the vitamin E.  Some people have an allergic reaction to vitamin E which can cause redness and inflammation which can delay healing.  Just avoid the sun and be patient.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist