Is Facial Plastic Surgery an Option for Me if I'm a Diabetic?

I am a diabetic on metformin and am considering facial plastic surgery.Is this procedure safe for me? Will there be poor wound healing?I do notice that when I have acne that the scar sometimes does not go away,sometimes the pimple lingers for months. Would fractional laser be a better alternative for temporary facial rejuvenation?

Best Facial Plastic Surgery Options for Diabetic Patients...Surgery, Fractional Laser, Ultherapy

+1

Hi Paria,

Diabetic patients have facial plastic surgery all of the time.  It is important for your diabetes physician to work with your facial plastic surgeon to assure that your course is as smooth as possible.  That involves making sure that your blood sugar levels are maintained before, during, and after your procedure.  Diabetic patients are more prone to possible infections, and slower wound healing, but with proper care have excellent results.

Fractional laser treatment is less traumatic to the system than surgery, but the same precautions need to be taken, especially the avoidance of infection.

Ultherapy  by Ulthera is a non-invasive ultrasound technology treatment that is FDA approved for both lifting and tightening the skin of the neck, face, and brows with no downtime or cutting.  You may wish to consider this option for facial rejuvenation.

Most importantly, choose your facial plastic surgeon most carefully.

Diabetes

+1

You need to be operated on in qualified center that can deal with your blood sugar. Although healig is an issue, I have done many diabetics with out problems. Surgery over laser for best results.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Cosmetic surgery and diabetes

+1

Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to say what procedure would be your best option. Once you have been examined and a procedure recommended the next step is to make accommodations for your diabetic condition. Diabetics are more prone to coronary artery disease and blood chemistry alterations as well as being more susceptible to infection and having longer recovery/healing times. If the procedure you do undergo is minor you should not need to do much. If the procedure will take more time in the operating, require general anesthesia etc it would be better to first get medical clearance by the doctor who manages your diabetes.

Metformin is a shorter acting biguanide. You should stop taking it on the day of surgery if you have surgery and cannot eat that day as opposed to a long acting sulfonylurea that has to be stopped days before surgery. Do not let diabetes prevent you from having the procedure(s) you want but take the necessary precautions to ensure a smooth recovery and a long lasting result you can be happy with.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Fractional laser probably a very good option for you.

+1

Pariapsara

This very much depends on the nature of your diabetes, history of smoking, and which particular surgeries you are contemplating.  Healing from a facelift can be a challenge because diabetes affects the small blood vessels which are essential for healing.  Diabetics tend to do ok with other facial procedure such as forehead surgery, eyelid surgery and rhinoplasty.  Talk with your potential cosmetic surgery and be certain that you health history is part of the considerations.