I have quite a large mole near my mouth that I'd love to have removed. Facial mole removal? (photo)

I have quite a large mole near my mouth that I'd love to have removed. I've had it my whole life so it's quite deep set in my skin. I had it lasered once about 5 years ago when I was 15 but the laser only made it flatter and a lighter color. I'm wondering if there's any way to remove it completely without damaging the area, since it's right on my smile line) or leaving a huge scar. If I can't get it fully removed, is there anything I can do to make it lighter or smoother?

Removing a mole from the face - Santa Monica

+1

Moles on the face can be surgically excised with layered closure. The resulting scars can be treated with laser resurfacing to minimize the appearance of the scar.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Facial mole removal

+1

I would say that your best option to remove the mole completely would be to surgically excise it. This should be able to be done without creating a huge scar and ideally, it would look just like a small smile line.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

Hi there,

its a difficult location as well as size but you do have options. One option, which is similar to what you had done in the past is to shave it down using a laser or something called radiofrequency. As you mentioned, this can make it flatter and a bit lighter, but not get rid of it 100%.

If it is right in a skin fold, there is always the option of surgically removing it and having the scar line up in a skin fold. Obviously, this has its risks but options are available to help minimize the appearance of the scar.

Hope that is somewhat helpfull.

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon