Facial Mole Removal? This is the third time I have had this same mole treated over the past 10 years. (photo)

I had a facial mole shaved off of my left cheek 4 weeks ago. This is the third time I have had this same mole treated over the past 10 years. I do not remember the healing taking this long; and I have a hole that looks like it will scar. I began using silicone sheets at night and serum during the day; however it seemed like it was not advancing the healing process. Do you have any suggestions to assist the healing process? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shave excision of a mole

+3

From the picture it appears you had a shave excision of the mole on your left cheek.  The healing at one month out is about what I would expect for your fair skin.  I don't see any significant 'shoulder' to the excision site, so I think you will see this lighten in color and smooth over time as the epidermis coninues to fill and thicken the area that was excised.   I always like to explain to patients the concept of the epidermal healing like a slow tide that starts off shallow but continues to fill in.  Give it time.   Your silicon sheeting or KeloCote Scar Gel will help as well.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial mole removal

+2

Healing after any surgical treatment is a process and the type of healing depends greatly on the method of removal.  It appears that the mole you had removed was removed via a shave technique which is commonly employed for the removal of facial moles.  The upside with shave removal of a mole is that it removes the elevated portion of the mole, requires no sutures, and typically heals relatively well.  The downside of shave removal is that, as you've experienced, the mole can sometimes come back because the entirety of the lesion is not removed.  Also, there is some variability in the healing that people experience as the scar contracts resulting in a slight depression.  An alternative method of removal is via excision and layered closure in which the entire depth of the mole is removed and the skin is sutured together in two layers.  This typically gives a very nice result, and is often my preferred method of removing dermal nevi on the face, although it is a bit more involved. 

I agree with what you've been doing to heal the scar at this point.  Topical silicone treatments should continue to improve the appearance and decrease the redness.  If the redness and atrophy persists, I would consider laser therapy for the scar with pulsed dye laser and a ablative or non-ablative fractional laser such as Fraxel re:store which can work very nicely in improving such scars.  I will typically employ those anywhere from six to twelve weeks post-operatively. 

Matthew J. Mahlberg, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Red that wont go away....

+1

it certainly appears like you healed well over all, however I would agree the redness is frustrating at this point. I would continue to monitor it and do your best to avoid any products that may be causing irritation or inflammation of this area of your skin (ie skin care products that can cause the redness). I often advise people to stop using some of these products around the area for a few days and see if the redness starts to fade as the healing area is often more sensitive given the inflammation associated with healing. The next step, would be to treat it with an ILP or other red-pigment targeting non-ablative laser. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

It appears to be healing well considering that it has only been 4 weeks since the procedure.  In the long term, if the redness persists, it may be advisable to try IPL to reduce the redness.

Sam Naficy, MD

Persistent redness after facial mole removal

+1

It appears that you have persistent redness as a result of the shave.  This is a common finding after a procedure, particularly in people with fair skin.  It will likely fade over months.  Some people consider IPL (intense pulsed light) treatments to accelerate the process.  Good luck.

Dina D. Strachan, MD