Facial Mole Removal. How Bad Will Scarring Be? (photo)

I have several moles on my face that I would like to have removed. What would be the best way to do it and how bad would the scarring be? I cracked my head open 4 times when I was a little kid and have fine white scars on my forehead that do not bother me at all. Would the scars be similar? The moles are just slightly raised and have been there since I was young so I am not worried about them being malignant.

Mole removal

+1

It is difficult to assess your moles with the photo.  I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an evaluation.  A shave excision or complete surgical excision may be recommended, however with any procedure you will be trading in the mole for a scar.  The goal is to make that scar heal as best that it can.

Mole removal scars

+1

We use a radiofrequency ablation technique that will remove your moles and allow for secondary intention healing (scabs fall off in 1 week and the pink spots gradually get smaller and disappear over a few months).  These scars are usually minimal and do not carry any risk of stitch marks to suggest that you had surgery.  In the worst cases, they may look like acne scars.  This technique has been very effective for moles as large as 1 cm in my practice.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon