Facial Massage/Exercises Post Botox?

Hi, Dr's. I am 5 mos. post my last botox treatment and am trying to swear it off since I never needed it to begin with. It leaves me with saggy under eyes and loose skin on cheeks compared to baseline. Are facial exercises and massage a good idea to tighten skin and firm muscles which have been relaxed for months from botox. I just want to make sure that I am not doing more harm to my skin than benefit. Any topicals you recommend to firm skin? Thank you very much

Facial exercises after botox

+3

I agree with Drs Palmer, Mesna and Naficy. It is not wise to perform alot of massage to an area immediately after treatment with Botox. It has been long enough however for your Botox to have worn off and you should not have any issues.

Germantown Dermatologist

Exercising or Massaging after Botox

+2

I generally advise using the injected muscles for a few minutes after treatment, but would discourage massaging the affected area. Various topical therapies can firm your skin and reduce fine lines, things that contain retinol, tretinoin, vitamin C, coffee berry, glycolic acid, peptides like Matrixyl, and stem cells. Best to speak with a skin expert, a dermatologist, to find out the best treatment for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Massage/Exercises Post Botox?

+2

Yes, you can perform facial exercises and massage post Botox injections however, in over 22 years of injecting Botox, I have not seen an example of Botox creating laxity of the facial muscles and skin to this degree.  

Botox effects wearing off 5 months after treatment

+2

Hello and thank you for writing your questions to us! You describe the effects of your Botox leaving too little activity in the muscles beneath the eyes and cheeks, which is unfortunate for you. At this point, 5 months since the treatment was provided, you should be back to baseline with your muscle strength and activity. You can confidently massage the area without concern.  Skin tightening is desired by many patients and while I hear patients explain they've been exercising their facial muscles at home, they don't commonly report vast improvement from their efforts. While you've determined that you didn't need Botox to relax or soften lines in the upper 3rd of your face, I may recommend that you seek Exilis Skin tightening, a non-surgical treatment option, or discuss lower eyelid surgical options if this area or concern bothers you enough to explore treatment options.  The use of anti-aging topicals, a retinoid, and sunscreen in your daily skincare regimen will be advantagous. Again, I am sorry to hear that your experience with Botox was unpleasant, and in the event you ever proceed again with Botox, be certain to discuss these findings with your provider. The placement and dosage of Botox is incredibly important and altogether possible to alter so as to provide you nice results without the concern for the mentioned issues to be repeated. Best of luck to you!

Gregory Mesna, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox and massage

+2

It's not recommended to massage areas that have been treated with Botox, directly after treatment. Five months however, you're likely not having much effect and won't re-create what you feel you had prior to injections.

Sam Naficy, MD

Massaging after Botox

+1

Massaging after Botox will only increase the radius of diffusion, and I do not recommend it.  Botox should be injected in precise volumes to precise locations for precise results.

Exercise 5 months after Botox

+1

Facial exercises and massage will not tighten and firm muscles or skin.  Thermage and a non-ablative laser such as Fraxel will tighten skin, smooth texture and stimulate the production of new collagen.  Use daily sunscreen and consider topical antioxidants such as vitamin C, retinols and fruity acids.  You should also consider seeing another injector since most people love their Botox results.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Facial exercises and massage

+1

Facial exercise and massage do not improve the tone of the face because it is soft tissue descent not muscle atrophy.

Botox Effects

+1

I agree with my colleagues.  Although you may have noticed some laxity under your eyes, these changes are highly unlikely to be related to Botox .  5 months post treatment, the Botox has run its course and there should be no residual effects.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon