Will Facial Implants Really Integrate with Skin and Bone?

I've heard Hydroxyapatite and Expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) Facial Implants integrate with the skin and bone. If so, once the implant and face is totally healed, can the implant become dislodged? I'm in Karate and (sometimes) get hit in the face. However, I can hold off Karate for as long as need be to make sure it heals. So, I want to make sure that there is a permanent facial implant out won't shift at all (just in case I get hit in the face). Thanks!

Tissue ingrowth into implant has advantages and disadvantages.

+1

Tissue ingrowth is both good and bad. Good because it allows for tissue fixation and blood supply but bad because they can be extremely difficult to remove should you desire explantation at some later point in time.

Any implant can shift

+1

These implants do have tissue ingrowth and have less chance of shifting. The main issue for implant placement is the position of the implant and the pocket. If the pocket is in soft tissue ,it may shift. The correct placement of any solid implant is to place on the bone with adequate soft tissue coverage.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon