Facial Filler Vs Cheek Implants?

I had cheek implants 6 years ago, and am very happy with the results. However, I have had 3 infections; each one went away with antibiotics, but after the last one my doctor said that if the infection occurs again we should consider removing them. As I understand it, once removed, there is a 3 to 6 month waiting period until all the infection is gone. My question: removing them will return that gaunt, hollow look I had previously. Can I get a filler (eg Restylane) in the meantime?

Facial filler vs cheek implants

+1

It is unfortunate that the cheek implants have been infected, but once any type of synthetic is infected it must be removed.  Yes, once the infected implants are removed, you must wait 6 months before implants can be placed back in to the cheeks.  It is very rare to have a silastic cheek implant become infected since it is inert.  Do not place any injectables or facial fillers in to the area of infection since it will only make matters worse.  Wait the appropriate amount of time and have them revised under sterile conditions in an outpatient surgery center.

Facial Filler Vs Cheek Implants

+1

3 - 6 months waiting period is not necessitated by the infection, which is occurs is eradicated within 2 or 3 weeks. Waiting for 3 or 6 months is advisable for the tissue reaction that followed the infection to settle, necessary to inject fillers with better predictability.

Kris Conrad, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Filler Vs Cheek Implants?

+1

You may want to ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants which filler and when it would be recommeneded.  I prefer using Perlane for Cheek Augmentation as IMO, Restylane and Juvederm are too thin.  Radiesse is often too thick for cheeks, IMO but works very well for chin and jaw line augmentations.  

Be usre that your fillers for facial shaping are administered by an MD that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.  Hope this helps.