Facial Fat Grafting - Over Time Changes/adjustments?

Im 20 (male) looking to have facial fat graft transfer to improve symmetry on 1 side of my face. Im worried about the fat adjusting over time. In 3-5 years will I still have to worry about resorption + changes to areas I had fat grafted? Rr does this usually occur and get sorted out (ex. by touch up") within the first few months (or year)? How long does it usually take to notice a resorption & that a touch up might be needed? Most importantly, how soon will I see my permanent results?

+1

Facial fat grafting tends to have a higher percentage of the fat survive than does grafting in other areas of the body.  Fat grafting permanence usually reveals itself in about 3 months in uncomplicated healing.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and fat grafting procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat grafting

+1

Dear patient, Fat grafting is a great way to restore symmetry to the face. I am a believer in PRP Fat Transfer (Plasma Rich protein). This PRP is obtained by spinning down a small amount of your own blood. Nutrients and growth factors and maybe even a few stem cells are concentrated and injected into the cheeks together with the fat. I also spin the fat with the Coleman method to concentrate it. I believe that results last longer this way. Still about %50 of the fat resorbs over 4-6 weeks. The good news is that whatever stays should last for many years to come.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Fat Transfer for Facial Asymmetry

+1

Depending on the nature of your asymmetry, fat transfer can be an excellent choice. The beauty of it is that it is permanent and natural.  Occasionally, to refine the difference between the two sides, minor touch-ups may be needed. Stable results should persist if done by an experienced fat transfer specialist.  It is important to note however, true or perfect symmetry is never achievable.  As long as your expectations are appropriate and your choice in surgeon is good, you should be happy.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial fat grafting for asymmetry

+1

Fat grafting results are usually stable about a year after surgery.  The grafts will respond to weight change throughout your life and your face will continue to go through the natural changes that all faces have.  I find symmetry to be a very poor goal for patient satisfaction.  Asymmetry is the normal human condition and often adding volume will exaggerate the asymmetry.

Mark Glasgold, MD
Highland Park Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changes to grafted fat over time

+1

Fat grafting is an excellent way to improve symmetry to the face. Unlike temporary fillers, grafted fat has the potential for life long permanence. To answer your question, you should not have to worry about resorption of fat at the 3-5 year point. Generally, results are deemed to be permanent around 6 months from the time of surgery. At this point, touch ups could be discussed if required. Thank you for sharing your questions. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD