Are Facial Exercises After Trichophytic Forehead Lift and Blepharoplasty Beneficial?

The surgeon said to do forehead/brow exercises, which I have been doing, consisting of light massage, raising/lowering eyebrows, winking and squinting x20, twice a day, heat before and ice after. The exercises are painful, except for the numb areas. Are the exercises really helpful? Are there others I could be doing? If the numbness remains, will I continue to be unable to move my forehead or perspire there as well?

Facial excercises after forehead lowering

+1

Facial exercise is very subjective and surgeon dependant. Each surgeon has a slightly different protocol. I would follow your surgeons protocol.

Forehead muscle excersises

+1

Facial exercises after a a forehead lift offer no benefit.  We do not recommend ice or heat applied  the forehead in our practice, since there is usually some temporary numbness in the scalp after the procedure

Facial Exercises After Forehead Lift

+1

It may be a good idea to have your physician explain the rationale for these exercises.  I have people make expressions after Botox injections but not after forehead lifts or bleparoplasty surgery. While numbness may occur after any procedures, your last question is a little concerning regarding your inability to move your forehead and should be addressed with your surgeon. With that being said, I am not sure how this surgery relates to your lack of perspiration.

Carlo Honrado, MD

Massage can help scar but exercises...

+1

Massaging a scar can help soften it more quickly, however, there is no evidence that facial muscle exercises are helpful. I usually tell patients who as me that "it can't hurt, but there is no evidence to prove that it helps". However, in your case, it seems that it CAN hurt. So I would talk to your surgeon about this again.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial Exercises After Browlift

+1

The need or benefit of these exercises after your surgery is unclear to me and no something that I have my patients do. You will need to ask your surgery why these are necessary.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Facial Exercises

+1

Better have your surgeon explain this to you.  Try and have him explain, exactly, the reasons for the exercises.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercises after surgery

+1

Unless there is a complication or a pending one, I can see no reason for you to go through these maneuvers. Ask you doctor for the rationale for this. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon