Facial Exercise to Reduce Sagging - Studies?

I'm confused. Many people swear that facial exercises have made a difference for them & I would think that resistence training would tighten the facial muscles & therefore reduce some sagging, even if it doesn't tighten the skin itself or replace fat. Most dermatologists etc claim that such exercises are useless, as no studies have proven their validity. But I haven't been able to find any articles in dermatological/cosmetic science journals reporting on it at all. Does anyone know any sources?

Studies for Facial Exercises

+2

I am unaware of any studies that conclusively demonstrate efficacy of facial exercises.  Facial muscles contain thousands of high twitch muscle fibers with a very high muscle fiber to nerve ending ratio, allowing for our unique and rapid facial expressions. We move our facial muscles thousands of time a day without even thinking about it; adding a series of exercises is unlikely, even in theory, to add any benefit in allaying the aging process.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial exercises and snake oil

+1

They pretty much belong in the same category of items designed to part a person from her money.  If they worked, we would all be singing their praises and incorporating them into our practices.  But they don't, and you won't likely find any randomized, controlled studies stating that they don't because it seems sort of obvious, doesn't it?  Who would invest resources into such a study only to confirm what we already really knew?

Carmen Kavali, MD

The Jim Carrey Facial Muscles Exercises for Facial Tightening does NOT really Work

+1

Regarding:  "Facial Exercise - Studies?
I'm confused. Many people swear that facial exercises have made a difference for them & I would think that resistence training would tighten the facial muscles & therefore reduce some sagging, even if it doesn't tighten the skin itself or replace fat. Most dermatologists etc claim that such exercises are useless, as no studies have proven their validity. But I haven't been able to find any articles in dermatological/cosmetic science journals reporting on it at all. Does anyone know any sources
?"

Very few physicians and scientist publish negative finding studies. Why would we care that something we suspected would not work, in fact, surprise, does not work, after all. Can you imagine how many more articles we would be bombarded with? But more importantly, there have been MANY scientific studies published on the real causes of facial aging.

The vast majority of studies have repeatedly demonstrated that a resorption of facial bones (especially of the rims of the orbits and mid-face (maxillae)) accompanied by loss of facial fat are the major reasons for the facial emptying and sagging. This causes a facial deflation and drooping. Facial muscles of expression are thin and have no demonstrable role in facial aging. Repeated exaggerated animations (a la Jim Carrey in The Mask) would only create deeper skin creases and would NOT substitute for the loss of facial bone and fat.

The key to facial rejuvenation is restoration of what was lost NOT repeated, useless facial muscle contractions.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Facial exercises should do nothing but make wrinkles

+1

It makes no anatomical sense to do facial muscle exercises to lift sagging skin.  These will probably only make you have more wrinkles from overaction of the muscles.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS