Facials and Blackhead Removal While on Accutane?

I am on Accutane 10 mg for mild acne, but there are blackheads on my nose. Can I go for a facial and have them removed while on the medicine?

Black Head Extraction While On Accutane

+1

Facials with extractions are fine to do while on Accutane as long as the esthetician helping you is GENTLE.  You do not want to be too aggressive, as over zealous extractions could lead to scarring.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Facials for blackheads while on Accutane

+1

A facial can be helpful for the removal of stubborn blackheads while on Accutane. In fact, as Accutane loosens these plugs they may slide out more easily. That being said, make sure whoever removes then understands the effects of Accutane on the skin. Your skin will be more fragile on Accutane. Go to someone used to working on people on this medication.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Yes, but be gentle.

+1

Accutane treatment makes your skin very sensitive to cosmetic or other physical procedures. While you can get facials and extractions, gentle care must be taken so that the skin is not bleeding, cut, or too traumatized. Accutane impairs wound healing, so any skin that is damaged or broken may take a while to heal or may heal improperly. So, if you are going to get these procedures done, get them done gently and avoid being aggressive.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Facials and blackhead removal

+1

Skin procedures do carry an increased risk of scarring while on accutane. I have had patients, in spite of my advice to the contrary, had blackhead/whitehead extractions while on higher doses of accutane with no residual effects, but you simply need to be aware of the risks. Accutane-related effects are dose-related so a 10 mg dose probably is associated with a relatively small risk. Hope this helps.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist