Procedures for Correcting Facial Balance?

Well, I know that I have a minor dorsal hump, but all my friends and family say it doesn't really affect the balance of my face from the font view, it only affects profile view. But when I look at myself in the mirror, compared to how I've changed since puberty, I know that there's something out of balance in my face but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm unsure whether it's my chin, or over dominant masseter muscles. What procedures would make my my face more balanced? Please could you give any suggestions or questions I should ask a surgeon?

Facial balance can be obtained with various procedures

+1

Facial balance can be obtained with multiple different procedures such as rhinoplasty and a chin implant. The overly projecting nose can be brought back by revision of the dorsal hump and de-projecting the tip. A chin augmentation can be performed by placing a Silastic chin implant around the front portion of the mandible to give more projection to the chin. More projection of the chin de-projects the nose just by facial balance alone and makes the nose look less prominent. Facial asymmetry can occur after chin augmentation. The amount of asymmetry is dependent upon the size and type of implant and the preexisting asymmetry of the mandible. The asymmetries can be addressed through a wider and longer implant. Further custom carving of the implant can be performed to adjust for asymmetries in the chin area.

Facial balance

+1

Everyone has asymmetry. It is impossible to create perfect facial balance. On the other hand, if you had severe asymmetry, then there certainly are ways to improve that.

Facial imbalance

+1

Judey,

Years ago, a study was performed in which people's pictures were placed on grids and folded in half and it is a rare person whose left side perfectly matches the right. In profile you do have a dorsal hump and what appears to be a slightly deficient chin. I would recommend imaging your pictures to remove the hump and add a small chin implant to see how this effects the balance between nose and chin.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

+1

I agree with Dr. Persky overall. Your cheek bones may be a bit underdeveloped, as may be your chin. Overall, you are handsome, and the changes to improve you if performed should be minimal, making me question "is this worth it?".

I might be talked into rhinoplasty for minor changes, however I would encourage you to do a little introspection as to why you are so unhappy with your appearance, and what your goals are.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Procedures to Correct Facial Imbalance

+1

Hi Judey,

Join the rest of us, most of us are asymmetrical. On the photos that you have provided, it appears that the left side of your face is slightly underdeveloped.

My first recommendation to you would to leave well enough alone. If and/or when you do consult with physicians, you may consider asking about Sculptra or other facial fillers.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

See a rhinoplasty specialist to guide you as to the nose and the chin

+1

The profile of your nose can be altered to create a straight profile which is natural. The chin is difficult to evaluate with your chin down in the profile photo. Let the surgeon guide you.