Can Facial Asymmetry Be Corrected?

The right side of my face is both more elevated and more prominent than the left side; the right cheekbone is more prominent, the cheek itself is fuller, and the jaw is more prominent. It looks as though the left side of my face is sliding off of my face.

Is there anything I can do to make my face more symmetrical? Would a cheekbone/jaw implant on one side work to balance my face? Strategically placed fillers? I don't look deformed in person, but I notice it a lot.

Correcting Facial Asymmetry

In assessing your photo, it appears that the facial symmetry is attributed to the facial skeleton: the cheekbones, the upper jaw, and the lower jaw. However, what draws the eye to the asymmetry the most is the lower jaw, specifically the mandibular angles.  There is also some mild soft tissue deficiency of the left cheek.  The caveats of treating a skeletal problem with fillers is that to achieve symmetry, a "doughy" look may result.  This is primarily a skeletal problem, and the most natural result will be achieved with an implant or jaw surgery.  The method I would recommend to correct your asymmetry would either to reduce the right mandible, augment the left mandible with an implant, or do a combination of both.  Fat grafting is also useful to add over the implant as there is usually a soft tissue deficiency in addition to the underdeveloped jawbone.  This is a fairly straightforward case as facial asymmetry is concerned.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Facial Asymmetry

Facial symmetry is not a criteria of beauty. Some degree of asymmetry is normal and universal. The asymmetry can be improved with implants or fillers, but not corrected.

I would only recommend fillers

Everyone is asymmetric if you look hard enough. That being said, your asymmetry (although not much and you are a pretty woman) bothers you enough to ask the question, then I think some non permanent filler would help you. I prefer Radiesse for the Cheek and Jaw line area and feel like this gives a good natural result. It lasts about one year but cannot be revered like the hylauronic acid fillers can (like Restylane or Juvederm). Some may recommend fat injections but I would not start with that and I actually think Radiesse would give a better result.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Treating Facial Asymmetry with Fillers or Implants

Thank you for the question and for posting your picture. In short, yes, facial asymmetries can be corrected.  In most cases, obvious asymmetry between the sides of the face is due to differences in the facial skeleton. Everyone is at least a little bit asymmetric -- just look at composite photos using two right or two left-halves of anyone's face! In your case, however, the asymmetry may be a bit more pronounced.  Facial fillers or implants can be used to treat this.  In my practice, I recommend that patients start with a combination of filllers (different fillers for different areas of the face). This allows them to "try out" the change before committing to surgery. Then, if they like the improved shaped and symmetry, we proceed with placement of implants.  Best of luck!!!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Facial Asymmetry Be Corrected?

You certainly can and should try a temporary filler like Perlane to augment both cheeks thereby creating more aesthetically, naturally beautiful cheeks.  The left cheek does appear to need more augmentation than the right although the right cheek is a bit flat anteriorly as well.  Once you see that a more attractive cheek shape can be created, cheek implants would be able to make that augmentation permanent.  Be sure the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Correcting facial asymmetry

Facial asymmetry is a very common problem that patients are concerned about. There is no way to make one orbit or eyeball higher or lower than the other. Cheek augmentation is an excellent procedure whereby small cheek implants can be customized to the right shape to match the opposite cheek. These are placed through an intraoral incision and placed underneath the periosteum covering the bone. These can also be removed if necessary. For many examples of cheek implants, please see the link below to our cheek implant photo gallery

Facial asymmetry can be corrected

The truth is that we are all a little asymmetric. True symmetry is a very rare trait. Most asymmetries are barely noticeable. However, some asymmetries are more prominent and can effect a person's appearance. Their our several modalities that can be pursued to include surgery and injectables like fillers and Botox. I routinely make small adjustments in my Botox and filler treatments to correct for these asymmetries. I would recommend you see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to discuss your options. I hope you find my answer helpful. Good Luck!

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Ways to create a more symmetrical face

Some mild asymmetry of the face is completely normal. However, if the asymmetry is very noticeable and bothers you, then there are some things that can be done to improve it. Temporary fillers, such as Voluma, can help add volume and definition to the less prominent cheekbone. Neuromodulators, like Botox, can be used to weaken the muscles of the jaw. This would make the jaw area less prominent. A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is absolutely necessary for an evaluation to determine the appropriate treatment plan.

John Diaz, MD

Facial Symmetry

Dear TammyA,

Consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon in-person to receive the highest-quality recommendation, treatment, care and skill available. You are correct in noticing that facial symmetry contributes to one's attractiveness. For that reason, one needs features that fits their face. Keep in mind that, it has been proven that the following features comprise an attractive female face:
Short upper lip
High cheekbones
Small nose
Short distance between the chin and mouth
Large eyes, widely spaced apart
Fine jawline
Petite chin

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting facial asymmetry

Great question. When correcting facial asymmetry, I will start with Juvederm or Perlane filler. These fillers last 9-12months and are reversible. Once I have established trust with the patient (make sure she likes my work and my aesthetic sense) I will perform a more permanent correction with fat transfer from the abdomen or thighs.
I am not a fan of cheek implants, especially if they are only being placed on one side... Very difficult to achieve symmetry and a natural appearance. Best of luck!!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD