Can Facial Asymmetry Be Corrected?

The right side of my face is both more elevated and more prominent than the left side; the right cheekbone is more prominent, the cheek itself is fuller, and the jaw is more prominent. It looks as though the left side of my face is sliding off of my face.

Is there anything I can do to make my face more symmetrical? Would a cheekbone/jaw implant on one side work to balance my face? Strategically placed fillers? I don't look deformed in person, but I notice it a lot.

I would only recommend fillers

+5

Everyone is asymmetric if you look hard enough. That being said, your asymmetry (although not much and you are a pretty woman) bothers you enough to ask the question, then I think some non permanent filler would help you. I prefer Radiesse for the Cheek and Jaw line area and feel like this gives a good natural result. It lasts about one year but cannot be revered like the hylauronic acid fillers can (like Restylane or Juvederm). Some may recommend fat injections but I would not start with that and I actually think Radiesse would give a better result.

Correcting Facial Asymmetry

+3

In assessing your photo, it appears that the facial symmetry is attributed to the facial skeleton: the cheekbones, the upper jaw, and the lower jaw. However, what draws the eye to the asymmetry the most is the lower jaw, specifically the mandibular angles.  There is also some mild soft tissue deficiency of the left cheek.  The caveats of treating a skeletal problem with fillers is that to achieve symmetry, a "doughy" look may result.  This is primarily a skeletal problem, and the most natural result will be achieved with an implant or jaw surgery.  The method I would recommend to correct your asymmetry would either to reduce the right mandible, augment the left mandible with an implant, or do a combination of both.  Fat grafting is also useful to add over the implant as there is usually a soft tissue deficiency in addition to the underdeveloped jawbone.  This is a fairly straightforward case as facial asymmetry is concerned.

Stephen B. Baker, MD
Mclean Plastic Surgeon

Can Facial Asymmetry Be Corrected?

+2

You certainly can and should try a temporary filler like Perlane to augment both cheeks thereby creating more aesthetically, naturally beautiful cheeks.  The left cheek does appear to need more augmentation than the right although the right cheek is a bit flat anteriorly as well.  Once you see that a more attractive cheek shape can be created, cheek implants would be able to make that augmentation permanent.  Be sure the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Treating facial asymmetry

+2

Complete symmetry is not present in nature. From the photo one can easily see what is bothering you as the asymmetry is quite significant. Although complete symmetry is never achievable there are procedures available to make you more symmetric than you currently are. The problem is one of bone too much on the right, too little on the left or a combination of both.Cutting bone and adding/subtracting bone would be quite an extensive procedure. The first questions to be asked are:

• Are the teeth in normal alignment?
  • Is the jaw joint in front of the ear normal without any clicks and with a normal range of motion?

If the teeth are aligned normally and the TM joint is ok you could have custom implants made based on a CT scan. This is an expensive process and going into it you should know that exact right left symmetry is not achievable. The CT scan will also tell you if any bone cutting/moving would be useful.

A simpler less expensive option would be free fat grafting to camouflage the bone asymmetry without actually changing it.

Every approach has its pros and cons and you need to weigh them carefully before choosing one or a combination of approaches.

Aaron Stone, MD

Facial Balance / Harmony with Fillers

+1
Facial fillers are an excellent way to balance the face when done in a subtle fashion and artistically. I would not recommend permanent implants as your facial soft tissues will continue to change as you age.   I advocate the use of a microcannula for more precise filling and for less bruising and swelling.  

Kian Karimi, MD

Recommend Hyaluronic Acid Fillers for Cheek and Lips

+1

Most of us have natural asymmetries in our faces. Many people (myself included) have one side of the face that is flatter and broader, and one that is fuller and more narrow. The most common place to observe this asymmetry is in the area of the cheekbones. In my experience, women tend to notice it in themselves more than men, because women tend to notice as they put their blush on, that one side requires a bit more than the other to achieve the same highlighting effect.

Just as you can camouflage asymmetries in the cheeks and lips with makeup, you can also camouflage them in a more semi-permanent way with injectable facial fillers such as Perlane, Juvaderm, or Restylane.

The advantage of the hyaluronic acid facial fillers mentioned above is that they are easy to do, and are not permanent if you DON'T love the results. The disadvantage is that they are not permanent if you DO love the results. The hyaluronic acid fillers last about 5-6 months in the lips and 9-12 months in the cheeks.  The more mobile an area is, the quicker the filler is absorbed.  The most permanent solution is a custom designed implant.  

I would recommend consultation with an experienced injector and/or surgeon.  Good luck! 

Dara Liotta, MD

Treating Facial Asymmetry with Fillers or Implants

+1

Thank you for the question and for posting your picture. In short, yes, facial asymmetries can be corrected.  In most cases, obvious asymmetry between the sides of the face is due to differences in the facial skeleton. Everyone is at least a little bit asymmetric -- just look at composite photos using two right or two left-halves of anyone's face! In your case, however, the asymmetry may be a bit more pronounced.  Facial fillers or implants can be used to treat this.  In my practice, I recommend that patients start with a combination of filllers (different fillers for different areas of the face). This allows them to "try out" the change before committing to surgery. Then, if they like the improved shaped and symmetry, we proceed with placement of implants.  Best of luck!!!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Facial Asymmetry

+1

Facial symmetry is not a criteria of beauty. Some degree of asymmetry is normal and universal. The asymmetry can be improved with implants or fillers, but not corrected.

Correcting facial asymmetry

+1
Facial asymmetry is a very common problem that patients are concerned about. There is no way to make one orbit or eyeball higher or lower than the other. Cheek augmentation is an excellent procedure whereby small cheek implants can be customized to the right shape to match the opposite cheek. These are placed through an intraoral incision and placed underneath the periosteum covering the bone. These can also be removed if necessary. For many examples of cheek implants, please see the link below to our cheek implant photo gallery

Improving facial symmetry

+1

Facial symmetry can be improved with facial fillers placed in the right places. In cases of moderate asymmetry, fat grafting may be a better option depending on what areas need to be augmented, and what volumes are necessary. Surgery would be a last resort.

Remember, symmetry can be improved, but complete symmetry would be difficult to acheive, and also unnatural.

Good Luck.

Dr. T

Behrooz Torkian, MD