What to Do About Facial Asymmetry After Chin Augmentation?

I had Chin Augmentation 14 years ago. I still have congenital facial asymmetry my right jaw line is rounded outward towards the chin, whereas my left jaw line just above the chin concaves in and shows up in pictures like this one.

I'm sick of it, you don't see it when I smile but it looks terrible when I'm not smiling in photos. But for some reason, in real life, it's harder to notice and most don't notice it. I have a strange face, a bit ugly and a bit handsome if you saw me in person...ugh

I would like as many opinions as possible here.

Facial asymmetry is normal

+3

It is normal to have facial asymmetry, though yours is a bit more than some.  There is no easy fix for it, only disguise is possible.  The best in your region is Dr. Michael Yerumchuk at the Mass General.  You might go and ask him for advice.

Management of facial asymmetry

+2

I would concur with Dr. Rand's assessment. You have multiple aspects of your anatomy, bone, muscle, fat and skin that contribute to the asymmetry. Not all of these features can be corrected.

In regards to the bone, these are commonly addressed with either implants or direct surgery to rearrange the bone. Implants are clearly more popular as they are generally easier procedures to perform.

Soft tissue fillers can provide a temporary correction.

Dermafillers are great for treating facial asymmetries

+1

Dermafillers are great for treating facial asymmetries because they may be applied as needed and each injection is customized.    Fillers are also great for modifications after cheek or chin implant surgery.  The augmentation achieved by the implants is maintained and the potential complications of removal can be avoided.

In your case more filler can be placed to the right side and your face could be improved.  I would use a material like Radiesse which will last 9-12 months.  If you like it then I would try ArteFill which is permanent.

Good luck in your search for information.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Congenital facial asymmetry

+1

I don't often recommend mandibular angle implants but this may be the best option for you in this case.  I would approach this by trying to augment the left side and reduce the left side if possible.  You may also need some type of midface lift to help improve the shape of your face.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

+1

You have a significant facial asymmetry. You need full work up, CT of the facial bones, complete evaluation to make sure of what and where the problem is.

Agree Dr. Micheal Yarmchuck is the best. Other wise you need a Craniofacial surgeon. Dr. B. Gyurun, chairman Department of Plastic Surgery at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH

Managing facial asymmetry

+1

Most people exhibit some degree of facial asymmetry. From the photo provided, it appears yours may be more pronounced than most. Several options may be helpful including implants, injectable fillers or fat injections. The specific treatment plan will depend on the cause(s) of the asymmetry. Your first step should be to consult with a surgeon specializing in facial plastic procedures to discuss realistic treatment goals.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Fillers to your jawline might improve your facial appearance.

+1

I certainly see the situation you describe. You have a relative concavity to the left of your chin as compared to the right side. The easiest fix is to fill the jowl area on the left side. I would need to examine you in-person to see if liposuctioning the right side were an option.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower facial asymmetry

+1

I think you need a combination of a custom mandibular and mandibular angle implant which should improve the bony asymmetry and volume augmentation with fat or Sculptra to correct the soft tissue asymmetry. If you can make it to LA, talk to Dr. Ed Terino.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry is natural

+1

Greetings,

From your description, I suspect your problem would be rather difficult to fix and you may end up making things worse by trying anything. Everyone has some amount of facial asymmetry and this is completely natural. I would suggest visiting with a facial plastic surgeon in the area and get an opinion or two before deciding on a course of action.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon