Does Facial Asymmetry After Plastic Surgery Go Away? How Long Does It Take?

I had a mid-face and neck lift and lower eyelid resurfacing over 5 weeks ago and never was told about the possibility of asymmetry of the face. I can hardly open my mouth and my speech is a problem as well. I am older and I know that I will heal slower, but is this an issue that will correct itself? Can I have it corrected with Botox or something else quickly?

Facial asymmetry and plastic surgery healing

+2

facial asymmetry and plastic surgery healing:

• most patients have preop asymmetry
  • swelling early on can last several weeks
  • late swelling can take 3 or 4 months
  • bruised nerves can take a few weeks to months to become active 

Facial Asymmetry after Midface and Neck Lift

+1

1 month after these procedures there may be swelling or residual tightness that may relax.  There may also be nerve damage that hopefully is temporary and usually is.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facial asymmetry

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – but based on your description it appears that you may have some nerve weakness, likely from the cheek lift.  It would be best to follow-up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Facial Paralysis Following Facelift

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  It seems like you are describing a facial paralysis.   Facial paralysis following a facelift can be temporary with full return of facial function and loss of droopiness.  However, if this does not return, this can be improved.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

+1

Some asymmetry is common after any surgical procedure that is done on both sides. The procedure you had involves, as you know, the separation of the tissues off of the bone and that can cause significant deep swelling and it can take a while for the muscles to reattach enough to start working properly. There is really not much you can do to speed things up, it is more a time issue.

Julio Garcia, MD

Facial Asymmetry

+1

All people have asymmetric faces. Plastic surgery can be used to not only improve the appearence of the face but also the asymmetry. Wait 9 months to a year prior to considering revision.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon