Facelift, Salt and Face Swelling Please Help.

After a facelift on Nov 15, it is now Apr 2 I have pain and swelling on my face around the parotid gland. It gets worst if I eat anything with salt. Even the smallest amount of salt makes my face swell. Someone said it also my be my lymph nodes are not draining. I am at my wits end and need some help. What kind of doctor should I go to. Please help. Have you seen anything like this? What kind of treatment should I have.

Facelift and Parotid Swelling

+1

If the swelling was not present for months after the facelift and is present now, it is likely not related to the facelift.  If the swelling has been present for the entire recovery, parotid leak can be managed by a number of things including Botox and antisialagogues among others.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pain after facelift with salt

+1

You have a parotid gland problem. Usually it is self limiting and will subside If not you must have tour salivary ducts checked for blockage and put on antibiotics for any suspected infection

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Swelling and Pain when Eating Salt after a Facelift

+1

Your problem is the Parotid gland which is rarely affected by facelift surgery. Tests to evaluate your pain and swelling include a sialogram to determine if the parotid duct is patent, a CT scan, and a culture to rule out an infection. Your surgeon can do the evaluation or refer you to an ENT specialist.

Salty Food Causes Swelling after Facelift

+1

You are describing signs and symptoms of salivary gland swelling - a very rare problem after facelifting. This may represent and inflammation, an infection (less likely), a stone or leak from the gland. You should consult with your facelift surgeon; s/he will know where to go from here. A proper diagnosis comes first and will guide the treatment options.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial swelling after a a face lift

+1

Not your lymph glands. Your parotid (large salivary gland over the jaw) is the problem. It is essential find out what is going on. Face lifts can affect the parotid, although this is rare. There could be many causes.  What to do:

1. Your surgeon should order parotid gland tests. These can include a sialogram, CT scan and cultures.
  2. If your surgeon is not competent to deal with this, he/she should refer you either to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or a Board Certified ENT surgeon. 
  3. I am sorry about this. But once you know the cause, it can be treated. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD