Facelifts, fat transfer and fillers: what is the right choice?

I have seen a dr. for a facelift. He tells me that he utilises a “muscle plication and skin stretch technique”. I am a male mid-50s. Is this a commonly used technique and a proper one for me? Also, are fillers better than fat transfer?

Male facelift considerations

+1

Muscle plication as part of a facelift can help with a more natural and longer lasting result, especially in men because the skin is thicker and heavier. Fat transfers will help as well, because they may be permanent or at least last longer than dermal fillers.

The three components of facial aging are excess skin, changes in skin tone and texture, and volume loss

+1

The three components of facial aging are excess skin, changes in skin tone and texture, and volume loss. A comprehensive approach includes addressing all three components. Facelifts address the excess skin. Fillers/Fat injections address the volume loss that occurs with age. Laser resurfacing addresses the skin texture, tone, and color.It is likely you will need some combination of the above.With regards to specific facelift techniques, I would discuss this in more detail with your surgeon.In general, addressing the underlying muscle layer is important for an effective surgery.There are many options with regards to fat transfer and fillers, and the choice of procedure and technique depends on your specific goals and which areas you want to improve.

I would recommend seeing your local board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon to for an evaluation

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Types of facelift

+1

I prefer a smas dissection/flap. I believe it is more powerful in redistributing soft tissue volume to the natural position of youth without having to stretch the skin. Stretching the skin creates a pulled look, more noticeable scars, and more surgical stigmata.

Facelifts and fillers

+1

There are many many procedures out there now. This is why it is important to do your hoework and go to as many consultations as needed iuntil you find the right surgeon for you. You need to find the surgeon that can explain what is the problem and how best to improve it. Different surgeons might have different solutions that work equally as well for the same problem. On the other hand, all the procedures have their strengths, weaknesses and limitations. Uou need to find a surgeon that can give you an unbiased honest opinion about what would work best for you. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/

Facelift, Fat or fillers

+1

It would seem appropriate for a male in his mid 50's to consider facelift surgery if he has laxity in the lower face and neck. Muscle tightening or platysmal plication is a common procedure that is part of a facelift. By tightening the muscles in the neck, the surgeon is then able to pull against this muscle in the face resulting in an improved neck and jawline without putting excessive tension on the skin. I believe the deep plane facelift accomplishes this most effectively. Fat grafting is a great way to help reshape the face during the rejuvenation surgery. It is an opportunity to add fat which in the long run is cheaper than equal volumes of filler if done at the time of a facelift. By adding fat during surgery, you will likely need less filler later. Ask your surgeon about skin resurfacing during the procedure as this will give your skin a more youthful look without adding much additional downtime

Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and fat grafting

+1

A facelift is performed on males to give better jawline definition, and to tighten up the jowls, excess neck and facial skin and remove fatty deposits in the neck. Fat injections are used as a volumetric augmentation for areas that are flat such as the cheeks. For many examples of facelifting results please see the link below to our facelift Photo Gallery

Facelift

+1

Fat grafting is commonly performed to revolumize the face and rejuvenate the face. Generally speaking, with facelifts, to obtain a longer lasting result, the underlying muscle needs to be tightened. The skin isn't usually stretched as that could lead to an overstretched/overtightened appearance that can look unnatural. Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Male Facelift

+1

For a male in the mid 50's, a conservative facelift is usually recommended to achieve a refreshed look. You do not want stretched or pulled look. No one does. Consult with Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who have done lots of male facelifts. Men have more hair follicles, so the procedure takes a little longer so assure there is no bleeding, and little to no bruising. Also, great care is taken so the patient does not have visible scars. Best wishes!

Male facelift

+1

Releasing the deeper tissues that are sagging, and snugly re-positioning them into a better place should be done to rejuvenate your face. The skin should be gently re-draped, never tightened. We didn't look tight or stretched in our twenties, so we shouldn't in our fifties. The pros and cons of filler versus fat injections are hotly debated. Personally, I like the predictability of fillers better, but fat is currently very popular. It is wise to obtain more than one consultation prior to moving forward.

Male in the mid 50's looking for rejuvenation. What's best?

+1

For a male in the 50's, the only way to really improve the neck and lower face is with a lower facelift. The neck is tightened by "placating", bringing together of the platysma muscle. In the lower face, this same platysma/SMAS complex is elevated. There should be no tension at all on the skin, as this can lead to visible scars, ear lobe change and a pulled look.

Web reference: http://drbustillo.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon