Facelift - I want a facelift and do not know who to trust?

I want a facelift and do not know who to trust

Who To Trust To Do Your Facelift

+4

Thank you for your important question.  A facelift is the most visible plastic surgery procedure that we do and it is essential that you get the best possible facelift results with scars that are hidden and not visible.

Facelifting takes surgical skill and in my opinion most importantly experience to achieve the best result.  There are special surgical techniques to hide the facelift incision in the hair, behind the ear, and most importantly inside the ear canal as an incision placed in front of the ear will be very visible.

There are many excellent facelift surgeons in most areas of the United States however finding the best can be difficult.

The place to start is the website of the American Board of Plastic Surgery to find board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.  Next go to the websites of the American Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and search for surgeons in your area.  The first Society the last sentence A A A P S has requirements for experience an aesthetic plastic surgery before gaining membership in that organization.

If at all possible you should seek recommendations and the experience of patients who have had a facelift by the surgeon's that you are consulting. If you're unable to find anyone then ask the surgeon to provide contact information for a previous patient who is had a facelift with him or her. If they are experienced thay should have prior patients who are willing to relate their experience to you.

Finally and most important trust your gut feelings when you have your consultation.  There has to be excellent communication and empathy between you and the surgeon and after meeting with the surgeon ask yourself "will I be comfortable calling on the surgeon if I were having a problem or complication at 3 in the morning on a weekend".  The emotional and professional relationship between you and your surgeon is truly the most important factor in your successful recovery and result once a technically perfect operation has been done.

Take your time, do your research, and trust your gut feelings.

Facelift in NYC

+3

There are close to 700 well-qualified plastic and facial plastic surgeons practicing in NYC. The good news is that you should be able to find a superbly qualified facelift surgeon even without leaving the Real Self forum. Just run a search for facial plastic or plastic surgeon in New York to get started. Then, look at the doctors’ profiles, their websites and their facelift Before-and-after pictures. Some doctors' work will appeal to you more then others’. Go with your feelings. If you like the doctor and you like the pictures of his or her patients, more likely than not you will be happy with the result of your procedure. Once you find a doctor that seems like a good match for you, give their office a call and mention that you’ve found them on Real Self. I am sure they will be happy to invite you for a consultation. Best of luck.

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

To choose a surgeon for a facelift, find a doctor who specializes in plastic surgery for the face

+3

There are many qualified Plastic and Facial Plastic surgeons who do facelifts. What is most important is, do they specialize in the face? Some do mostly facial surgery and some do a lot more body surgery. After you look at their credentials, check out the before and afters at their office or website. I suggest you stay clear of any mass market facelift chains. The photos are not always from that surgeon. Also, its often doctors who might have less experience which is why they work for a discount chain. You have one face and should do it right.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Choosing a Surgeon

+2

This is an extremely important question when considering surgery. You should be able to trust your surgeon and feel comfortable and confident moving forward with your procedure.Some things to consider when selecting a surgeon for a Facelift:

i.Credentials - Is the surgeon board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery or the American Board of Plastic Surgery?

ii.Experience – how long has the surgeon been in practice and how many facelifts has he/she done?

iii.Expertise – Is the surgeon specialized? I am a facial plastic surgeon, specializing only in the face and neck.

iv.Reviews – look online to ensure the surgeon has good patient reviews and great before and after results.You can also ask to speak with previous facelift patients for feedback.

I hope this helps.Good Luck with your surgery!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding a facelift surgeon who you can trust

+2

Finding a facelift surgeon who you can trust is very important. Nothing will replace a personal recommendation from a trusted friend, who may have had a facelift herself/himself by that plastic surgeon. Other factors to consider when choosing a facelift surgeon include credentials and board certification, hospital privileges, and online patient reviews. Lastly, you should feel comfortable with your plastic surgeon when speaking with him/her. Obtain consultation with at least a couple surgeons before choosing the best cosmetic surgeon for your facelift. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keys to choosing proper plastic surgeon

+2

Trusting your surgeon goes a long way toward having a great surgical experience both for you and your family. The best referrals come from your family, friends, and personal contacts who have first hand knowledge of a practitioner's surgical skills and social skills. Ask if the surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Ask if the doctor has privileges in area hospitals. If the answer is no, move on. Let the hospitals do your leg work. To be on staff at a major hospital in your area implies that the doctor has jumped through many investigational hoops. As wonderful as the internet is, don't let it be the only source to guide you. When several independent sources recommend the same doctor, that is valuable information.

Having a facelift can be a beautiful experience if you lay the proper ground work. Good luck.

John Cassel, MD

What surgeon to perform my facelift

+2

My advice is to look at plasticsurgery dot org and look for a board certified plastic surgeons with an education background and credentials that you trust.  Then check out his website to see if you like his/her work.  Finally, don't forget to check the online reviews!

Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Surgeon Choice

+2

Who to trust for your facelift?  A plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon?  The short answer to your question is you should trust somebody who does a lot of facial surgery.  For a more detailed answer, read on.

To provide a better answer and some clarification, consider the training and board certification of the surgeon.  The American Board of Medical Specialties certifies two medical specialties to perform facial plastic surgery.  These two specialties are Plastic Surgery and Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery (ENT).  Anybody who does not have certification in these areas is not board certified to perform facial plastic surgery by the American Board of Medical Specialties.

Either plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons can then become further certified through the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, which certifies a particular level of experience and training in facial plastic surgery. Surgeons who pursue this training are also usually members of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

To become a facial plastic surgeon, the training track includes medical school followed by five years of residency in head and neck surgery (e.g., salivary gland surgery, treatment of cancer in the head and neck area, throat surgery, tonsillectomy, ear surgery, among others) followed by another year specializing in facial plastic surgery.  This gives a total of six years performing surgery in the head and neck.  Once they pass their exams, these doctors are board certified to perform facial plastic surgery.  They are NOT board certified to perform plastic surgery on other areas of the body.

To become a plastic surgeon, the most commonly used training track includes medical school followed by three years of general surgery (e.g., appendix, gall bladder, chest, breast, hernia, GI, and trauma surgery among others) followed by three years of plastic surgery of the whole body (breast, abdomen, legs, face, etc).  Once they pass their exams, they are certified to perform plastic surgery anywhere on the body--including the face.

There is a wide range of training options for plastic surgeons, which may or may not include a lot of facial plastic surgery.  Some plastic surgery programs just don't have a lot of facial plastic surgery in their training programs and they spend most of their time doing breast, hand, or other body procedures.

This is a highly contentious issue that can often lead to anger or hurt feelings on both sides.  Facial plastic surgeons feel that they are best or at least equally trained to do facial plastic surgery and get frustrated by plastic surgeons denigrating their skill by referring to them as ear doctors or ENTs who "dabble" in facial plastic surgery.  This is clearly not the case! 

Both plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons are board certified to do facial plastic surgery.  You should trust your face to a surgeon who specializes in this area and, at the end of the day, go with your gut!

I would encourage you to avoid a facial plastic surgeon who is performing surgery outside of the face.  They are not board certified to do this! 

I would also advise, however, against seeing any surgeon for a facelift who does not do a lot of facial plastic surgery--even if they are board certified to do so.  For example, a plastic surgeon who mostly does breast surgery may not the best choice to perform your facelift surgery.

I am a facial plastic surgeon and despite the bias this training gives me, I hope this has been an unbiased overview, which has helped and has not offended or bothered any of my plastic surgery colleagues.  I feel strongly that a surgeon or physician should not practice outside of their board certification and that we, as medical professionals, have a duty to help our patients know our training and the limits of that training and experience. 

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who to trust

+2

I would recommend you see board certified facial plastic surgeons and/or plastic surgeons who have a specialization in the areas that concern you. A good way to tell is to visit their respective web sites and see how many pre and post op. photos they have of the procedure(s) you're interested in. In Charlotte, I strictly do facial aesthetic surgery and perform a lot of facelifts due to that specialty and interest. I'm sure there are similar surgeons in your area. I would also recommend you find someone who routinely performs deep plane surgery as I feel it is a much better approach. See my web site for further information. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift surgeon

+2

Find someone who is board certified, well trained, and will take time to discuss treatment options, risks and benefits thoroughly with you.  Ask to look at before and after photos.  Ask to speak with patients that have had similar procedures with the surgeon.  Go with yout gut feeling.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD