Facelift for Younger People to Make Face Slimmer and Narrow

I'm 25. I know a facelift is usually reserved for older individuals with sagging or loose skin but I was wondering if it or something similar to it can be used on younger individuals to make the face seem more slim and narrow. I'm sorry I didn't post any pictures but I have a squarish face. I wanted to get a lift around the cheek area to pull up skin to get a more narrow and triangular looking jaw. Cheek fillers aren't possible because they widen my face.

Your surgeon may suggest non-surgical options...

We occasionally see patients who are unhappy with the shape of their face. When this situation arises it’s not unusual for them to be concerned about their transverse facial width. Many of these patients would like a slimmer face with a decreased transverse dimension. These individuals occasionally request facelift surgery in an effort to address this problem. Although facelifts will make the face look younger they won’t dramatically impact the shape of the face.
In your case it’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without pictures or a physical examination. In the vast majority of patients who have this concern the anatomic deformity resides at the level of the boney facial skeleton. Correction of this type of problem is no simple matter and usually requires surgery on the underlying facial skeleton. In most cases the risk benefit ratio of this type of procedure renders this undertaking inappropriate.
For this reason, many surgeons try to disguise the deformity by operating on the facial soft tissues. Under these circumstances, injectable fillers, micro liposuction and buccal fat pad removal have all been attempted. These maneuvers are associated with minimal improvement in facial shape and for this reason aren’t frequently utilized.
If you’re concerned about facial aesthetics, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to evaluate your anatomy and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

How To Make My Face Slimmer

When a 25 year old is seeking a more defined face, a facelift is not an option.  A thorough evaluation by a face specialist can help determine what is the best course of action.  The following are treatment possiblities:

• Weight loss- In some individuals, weight can be carried in the face.  It is in general a good first step.
  • Avoidance of gum chewing/ chewy foods/ etc-  Too much stimulation of jaw muscles can lead to an overly wide and square face.  The jaw muscle responsible is called the masseter muscle.
  • Buccal fat removal- Buccal fat is compartmentalized fat and can lead to a more sculpted facial look, especially in the midface area.
  • Botox Jaw Reduction- Can lead to a softening of facial features and a less square jaw.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline contouring

If your jawline is your concern, then it's better to consider something that would modify the jawline itself rather than a facelift. You can consider Botox to relax the masseter muscles, or jawline contouring to target the actual bone.

Face lift at 25?

A facelift would not be an ideal option for a 25 year old, especially when it seems that you are most unhappy with your underlying facial framework.

I would recommend a formal facial evaluation with a facial plastic surgeon, who may recommend one of a variety of minimally invasive options (including fillers, botulinum toxin) to help achieve your cosmetic goals.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Face lift to make the face slimmer and more narrow at age 25

At 25 years of age, you do not need a facelift. A facelift does not make the face slimmer or more narrow, it just  turns back for clock on the aging process in patients that are in their 50s 60s and 70s. For many examples of what a facelift can accomplish, please see the link below to our facelift  photo gallery he

Facelift for slimming the face

Facelift do not change your inherent facial structure. I would look to other non-invasive methods first. The basis of a facelift is not pulling the skin rather it is repositioning of tissues under the skin and then re-draping the skin over the more youthful understructure. In some patients neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead are done concurrently. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed exam and treatment plan. Most have complimentary or low cost consultations.

Face lift at 25

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern - it would be very unlikely that a lift is your answer

Sam Naficy, MD

Can a 25 year old get thinner face without a face lift

25 year olds are not candidates for face lifts, IMHO and if your face is's most likely due to fatty tissue.  Micro-liposuction to shape the cheeks and thin the sub-malar regions would address this issue.

Reshaping the Face

A facelift is probably NOT the right procedure for you. A facelift generally treats the jowels and the neck that sag with aging. It achieves this by repositioning the deep facial muscular tissues. 

If you are concerned over the appearance of a square face then perhaps Botox/Dysport to the jaw muscles can help achieve this look for you.  You should be evaluated by a physician with experience in using these products in the masseter muscle.  I have found this technique to be very effective for many peopel.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal Fat Pad resection, not a Facelift can slim a young face to look narrower

A Facelift done on a full young face can actually make the face look fuller!

A Buccal Fat Pad Resection removes extra fat from the "chubby cheeks" and can make the cheeks appear more "hollow" and the face look thinner. Maxillary or Cheek Implants can accentuate the High Cheek Bone appearance.

You need to be examined by an expert who uses the Buccal Fat Pad Resection and who can evaluate your face to determine if the Buccal Fat Pad resection will help you.

There are other causes of a full looking face including Maxillary Hypoplasia which require a different approach. You should see an experienced doctor, preferably one experienced in Craniofacial Surgery who can properly evaluate you.