Is a Facelift an Option for a Young Patient After Weight Loss?

I've lost 25-30 lbs which has left me with asymmetrically sagging skin and fat, puffy look. I've become very insecure about it and no longer feel pretty. I have a consultation with the plastic surgeon who did my nose, but it's not until a month from now, so until then I'd like to know is a facelift an option considering my age? Is there anything else that can be done? I've included a picture showing the sagging and how I looked just a few years ago at the same weight.

Facelift in a young weight loss person

+1

Great job with the weight loss! You look good in your pictures. I don't think you need a facelift. If you had excessive weight loss, 100# or more, then I could see the possibility of needing a facelift.

Facelift in A Young Person

+1

Facelifts are designed to be performed on young people.  Facelifts are designed to lift descended tissue and reposition it into a better position.  Patients who are in the younger category (20's and 30's), may benefit in skin care regimens, preventative measures, and in select cases non-surgical procedures such as Botox and facial fillers.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after weight loss

+1

A face lift is generally reserved for people who have lost the support in the tissues of the face. There tends to be excess skin and "drooping" of the tissues. Based upon your photos, you do not seem to have much excess tissue. From the photos alone, I don' t think you're ready for a face lift.

Volume loss may be a more relevant factor in your case. We tend to loose some volume in the face as we age and also with weight loss. Some individuals feel they loose too much volume in the face with weight loss and this can give people a "drawn" or "tired" look. You may want to consider tissue fillers as a means to restore volume to some areas of the face.

Tissue volume can be achieved using your own tissues such as fat, or manufactured products such as Restylane, Juvederm, Sculptra and others.

Consult with a plastic surgeon who is experienced in surgical and nonsurgical procedures so you can learn about the above options as well as their risks and benefits.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Is a facelift an option for a young patient after weight loss?

+1

Dear Gg,

Congratulations on your weight loss. You look great.

Personally, I think you are beautiful and I would NOT operate on you as I see no benefit to you by doing so: No facial sagging and no loose skin. The risks of the operation are greater than any potential benefits in your case.

Best of Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

Facelift After Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Your pictures show how much better you look, but it is difficult to see the excess skin. Face lifts can be done in young people, but you should consider alternatives such as lasers which can improve skin tone. Schedule a consultation to review your alternatives, but only if you have made a commitment to maintain your present weight.

Facelift in a young person

+1

I do a considerable number of facelifts and have done them on patients in their 30's on rare occasion. There needs to be enough of a visible difference present to be worth going through the surgery.

I am afraid that from yor pictures I can't see the problem you describe. Perhaps you are being too critical on yourself. Your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you in the right path and it may be toward skin care, fillers, photorejuvenation etc.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Facelift after weight loss

+1

Facelifting has traditionally been reserved for middle to late-age people to reverse teh signs of facial aging. More plastic surgeons are coming to the realization that facial aging is more a result of "volume loss" that occurs when we age, not sagging of tissue. This idea has revolutionized facelifting and has made the "wind-blown" faces of 80s and 90s a thing of the past.

We know that there is significant fat loss int he face after weight loss. As a plastic surgeon who does a considerable amount of face and body contouring after weight loss, I routine perform facelfits on people who historically were considered "too young" - in the 30s. A well planned facelift can restore the shape and fullness that was lost during significant weight loss. Age is not the only consideration for whether you are a good candidate for a facelift.

Matthew Schulman, MD