Traveling for a Facelift

I live in Phoenix and have extensively researched all of the local "top docs". Although there are some very talented doctors here, I cannot find anyone whose work I prefer to a doctor in Chicago (whose fees are justifiably much higher.) I am concerned about recovery time in a city where I don't know anyone. Has anyone had this experience and if so, what was it like. Would I have to recover in a hotel, or is there usually someplace with medical staff made available for out of towners?

Out of Town Facelifts

+2

It is certainly possible to have a Facelift in an out of town location.  However, there are two major aspects of care that need to be considered: post-op care logistics and the possibility of a complication.  In SW Florida, I do a number of Facelifts for patients who live elsewhere, but most of these patients have a relative or friend who lives here.  Since you will not be able to do all of the activities of daily living, driving to office visits, etc. you will need to coordinate with a friend or Nurse to help you. The second consideration is that complications can and do happen to every Surgeon.  The general length of stay I insist on is 10 days post-op, but I inform patients that it can potentially be longer.  Give yourself at least a two week window.

If you think the Surgeon in Chicago will work best for you, then by all means proceed.  However, take care to make sure that your postoperative care is well mapped out or you may have a difficult time.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traveliing out of town for plastic surgery

+2

IF all goes well, post-operative care is relatively limited and essentially can be managed by yourself but it is particularly important to travel with a friend or complanion who can provide immediate care such as local transportation assistance, dressing changes, aid to and from the bathroom in the event of nausea of dizziness or lightheaded ness, runnng out to a pharmacy for changes in medications. Arrangements for a nurse or attendant can be made but can be costly. Many surgeons have arrangements with medical transportation and aftercare facilities that provide limited care; however, this can add substantially to the cost.

I have attached an out of town information page for your review.

Traveling for a Facelift

+2

I see patients from around the country and all over the world for facial rejuvenation. They typically stay in town for 7-10 daqys. We have them stay in a recovery center for at least 24 hours after surgery, then move to one of the many local hotels. My office will coordinate all local arrangements. Don't be concerned about the unfamiliar surroundings.

Traveling for a Facelift

+1

Half of my patients come from around the world for facial rejuvenation and other cosmetic procedures. I think the most important thing is that we keep our patients for a defined period of time until all sutures are removed and they are doing well in post operative recovery which is usually about 7 days for a rhinoplasty, 10-12 days for a facelift as well as for an abdominoplasty. We provide in-house nursing 24-7 for our local and out of town patients for patient safety and convenience.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Check out before and after results make sure you LIKE them

+1

Facial rejuvenation is a very complex and difficult procedure.. To achieve not only better but NATURAL results is not easy . make sure you are not scared by the surgeon's results because it may happen to you. However if it is done right face lift is a very satisfying and gratifying procedure

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Travel for surgery

+1

It is becoming more and more common for patients to travel for quality medical care.  We routinely have patients travelling from all over the world for surgery.  Typically, for facial surgery, a 10 day stay as adequate.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Traveling for a facelift

+1

It is not uncommon for patients to travel to have a facelift, or to do it while visiting family or on vacation.  I think it would be necessary for you to stay in Chicago for at least 7-10 days, and that it would be most helpful for you to have a family member or trusted friend with you during that time. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Out of town patient & facelift

+1

Being in a strange & unfamiliar city adds one more stressful layer to the whole facelift recovery.  However, people do it, if they love the surgeon's work, and are willing to travel.

We usually have our patients stay in our AAAASF-certified facility with an overnight nurse, and then after that, they go to their local hotel or home with friends / relatives.  While medical assistance can be set-up, this does add to the overall expense.  The patients usually stay in the area for 10-14 days before flying home, to allow for post-op rechecks, suture removal, and so forth.

Hope that helps!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Traveling for a facelift

+1

If you are really sure that your top local plastic surgeons are not able to deliver the results of a doctor in Chicago, make sure that the Chicago doctor sees your photos and believes you can get the result you want.  Then plan to stay there for 10 days to 2 weeks after if you want the best recovery.  It is worth the cost if you really feel you need to travel.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

When travelling for facelift be sure to have a caretaker and plan to spend at least 10 days for follow up

+1

I frequently have patients from out of state and out of country come to my Boston Area practice for facelift surgery.

However we impose strict rules to assure patient safety:

1. We recommend that the patient be accompanied by a caretaker-friend or family who will stay with the patient at all times.

2. We recommend that the first night after surgery be spent in the hospital so that proper nursing care and supervision is provided-if the caretaker and patient are adequate this can be accomplished in a nearby hotel however we prefer the hospital

3. The patient cannot drive while on narcotic pain medications

4. The patient may not fly in an airplane for a minimum of 10 days after surgery

These guidlines are important. However it is also important that the doctor who performs the facelift or his covering doctor is available to the patient and easily reached during the post operative period

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS