Facelift While Botox or Fillers Still Active?

Is it safe to have a facelift when Botox or cosmetic fillers are still in effect, or would it be better to wait until they have worn off? Will the Botox or filler have any effect on the results?

Facelift while Botox or fillers still active?

+5

Hello

Two questions here - BoTox & fillers.

I see no reason to not have a Facelift with a "BoTox" affect still in place.

Fillers - you can have a surgical procedure BUT it helps the doctor know what to do - customize your procedure - if he knows what you really look like. If you have some pre-filler pictures that are relevant, it would help. You are commissioning art work - the artist should have a good idea what the canvass looks like - right?

Inform your surgeon about Botox or fillers before facelift

+5

An experienced plastic surgeon should account for the presence of Botox and facial fillers when assessing a patient for facelift or necklift procedures. You should definitely tell your surgeon that you have been administered these temporary treatments on your first consultation.

Even with a facelift, you will still require further Botox or facial filler treatments in the future.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Facelift when Botox and Fillers are still in place

+4

Great feedback from the panel so far. We echo the following.

1. Make sure that you know exactly what was injected previously if the practitioner doing your surgery is different from the one that did the injections.

2. Make sure that the surgeon knows what you look like without the fillers (either wait until they are gone or review photos) so that the proper surgical plan can be created.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

OK to Have Facelift With Fillers and BOTOX

+3

It really isn't necessary to wait for the BOTOX and fillers to wear off before proceeding with your Facelift. In the vast majority of circumstances, your surgeon can contour well even with the injectables on-board.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Probably best to wait

+3

It is interesting that you ask this question as I recently met another patient with the same situation. She was treated in Boston and recently moved to San Francisco after having had Botox and fillers. During the consultation, she described her main areas of concern, including the areas she had been treated with Botox and Juvederm. Overall, I felt she was a good candidate for the procedure, but advised her that I cannot give her my best evaluation of her face since there are areas that have been "masked." I advised her to followup in 6 more months and also bring a recent picture of herself prior to the treatments to give her the best plan of action.

Charles K. Lee, MD

It is safe to have face lift with Botox and Fillers still in effect

+3

Before and after pictures of face lift results

Botox and fillers, if properly placed in recommended amounts will not effect face lift results after a 6 week waiting period. The waiting period is primarily to allow swelling and inflammation from the filler injection to subside.

A surgical procedure such as a face lift, in my experience may lessen the duration of the Botox efffect, and you may need repeat Botox injection sooner after your face lift than you would have if you had not had surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Facelift after botox or filler

+2
Yes, a facelift with botox and fillers can be done safely. Many of my patients start with Botox or fillers and end up getting facelift later. Think of a facelift, botox, and facial fillers as different ways of improving your facial features. An experienced facial surgeon can easily assess and help you to have a great result.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Facelift, Fillers and Botox combination OK

+2

Facelift, Botox and Fillers are Synergistic
No problem. You age by three factors - sagging (through gravity and time), loss of volume (counteracted by fillers), and skin texture (determined by environmental and genetic factors). Your fillers should enhance your effect of the lifting if placed appropriately by addressing one of the causes of aging. The Botox will decrease the effects of muscle pull as you heal and should not compromise the results of your procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Botox and fillers at the time of facelift

+2

In my opinion, it is unnecessary to wait for the effects of Botox or fillers to wear off before having facelift surgery.  They will have a negligible effect on the surgery and, in the case of Botox, there is even an argument to make that it is better to do the corrective surgery while the muscles have been chemically denervated so that the wrinkles don't reform during the healing period.  Hope this helps!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Although safe, wait until botox and fillers are gone before having a facelift.

+2

You've paid a lot of money to look better from the injectibles.  Why have an operation while you are receiving the benefits of those treatments?  It's not unsafe but does waste some of the non surgical benefits.