What is a "One-stitch Lift"?

I have heard of a "one-stitch" lift. Is there really such a thing? Apparently a doctor does a stitch, that lifts the skin a bit, up along the hairline. Is this a good procedure?

"One stitch lift" is a marketing name for a thread lift...

+7

"One stitch lift" is a marketing name for a thread lift procedure for the midface area. Since threadlift has recently received a lot of negative publicity, some surgeons use other marketing names to attract patients.

Threadlift procedure has not been able to gather full support of the plastic surgery society for its shortcomings. You may look at RealSelf reviews to see what other patients think of threadlift.

I personally neither perform nor believe in threadlift procedures.

One stitch, no results

+6

The conclusion most patients reach at one year after having one stitch lifts or threadlifts is that the results are disappointing. They did not receive a facelift result with a single stitch as they had hoped.

When tissues are pulled with a hook with no undermining, the usual threadlift or one stitch technique, they cut through the tissue like butter. Fortunately, the marionette appearance from the subcutaneous tissues being pulled in a few specific areas softens as the sutures cut through and relax.

When tissues are undermined, and sutures are placed, this allows the tissues to "stick" in their new uplifted position; the sutures then become redundant (and self-dissolve) once complete healing occurs. This type of lift gives more permanent results. It is not the pull that gives the permanent result; it is the healing of the tissues in the uplifted position that does.

Of the many many revisions of previous threadlifts we have performed, we have universally noted that the threads were loose and did not hold tension on anything.

The good news is that aside from a few sutures popping through the skin, or palpable knots below the surface that required removal, most of these lifts don't seem to have done much harm. We simply perform our revision work and remove the sutures. Patients are usually amused to see how their threadlifts unwound.

While most of my patients are well off enough to write off their "investment" in a threadlift to experience and have a good laugh over it, I feel bad for the patients to whom the fee for the threadlift represents a significant investment.

While most patients now are quite familiar with the above information, as echoed by the other experts, there is a whole new batch of one-hour rejuvenation wonders that are claiming the funds of the trusting and uninformed.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Best to Avoid this Procedure

+5

I agree with the advice given here.

A "One Stitch Lift" is a procedure that uses a barbed suture that stays in place or a ribbon with little hooks on it that absorbs over time. The goal being to "hook" and elevate the sagging tissues through a small incision. Sounds good but...

These types of procedures have fallen out of favor and would only be recommended in very, very subtle or unique circumstances. Some Surgeons do feel they can be beneficially used for minimal brow lifts but as far as jowls or jawlines not much long term success has been noted.

I have revised many "one stitch" lifts that have been referred to me over the years.

Kamran Jafri, MD

Translation: Gimmick

+4

Can a "one stitch lift" achieve similar results to a Facelift: no. Will you be charged a relatively large sum for a relatively inadequate result? yes. Over the last few years, I have seen a number of unhappy patients who have had thread lifts. Their comments are as follows: lots of money spent no result obtained. Definitely something to be avoided.

We would all like to be able to offer a very short procedure which offers the same result as a Facelift with no downtime. The problem is that it does not exist despite what is shown on infomercials and mass advertising.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

If it sounds too good to be true...

+4

There are some procedures like the Threadlift that propose to lift the face without surgery. These were very popular 3 or 4 years ago and many people had them performed. Simply stated, they didn't work and the companies that promoted them have either dissolved or turned their attention elsewhere.

Any procedure that is going to produce a real result must undermine the skin and elevate and tighten the deeper tissues of the face. There are many ways to do this but please realize that most "mini" procedures produce only a "mini result" for a "mini length of time."

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

One stitch facelifts do not work

+3

I have done facelifts on several people who had the so called one stitch facelift by local dermatologists. In each instance there were single sutured placed behind the ear. Its naive and foolish to think that a single suture behind the ear can hold up the weight of the neck, jowls and jawline. I blame the doctors for selling a procedure that does not even have a chance at working but you know what they say, "A fool and their money are easily separated."

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Better options than a One Stitich Lift

+2

The One-Stitch Lift appears to be a branded version of a thread lift. Thread lifts are facelift procedures that use a barbed suture or ribbon to lift the facial skin. The "thread" may be  permanent or may absorb over time depending on the type. These have fallen out of favor in the plastic surgery community primarily because there is little long lasting benefit.

I recommend investigating other modified facelift procedures such as the Lite Lift, LifeStyle Lift, S Lift or Quick Lift, as these will be more effective in achieving the results you want. As always, make sure you find the best surgeon for your procedure. Many of these modified facelifts are done by doctors who do not primarily specialize in plastic surgery; you are more likely to have a good result if you find a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

One-Stitch: the Name Says All you Need to Know

+2

Suture or thread lifts are pretty much abandoned.

The success of your Facelift shouldn't have to hang by just one stitch!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

One Stitch Lift aka Waste of Money Lift

+2

If your degree of facial drooping could somehow be smoothed well with but a single stitch you really should not be having a Facelift operation.

Whenever you hear ANY catchy name describe a Facelift, cover your ears, clench your pocketbook tighter and walk faster by. You are being ripped off.

Such procedures are sleazy marketing schemes to separate you from your money by promising the moon by delivering at best average and commonly poor results in exchange.

Don't do it.

Dr. P. Aldea