Wounds Re-stitched After Facelift

My face lift was performed by a Board Certified Surgeon 6 weeks ago. Since then I have had several more stiches added twice due to open wounds on the top front ear areas. I still have draining there and my sidburns look deformed. Will I ever grow "normal" sideburns? Will I have major scarring?

These problems can be addressed successfully

These are unfortunate but not serious complications and could have been due to several factors including tension on the suture line closure and incomplete healing or minor infection at the site of dehiscence. You should allow for initial wound healing and maturation of the scar before additional surgery. The hair loss may be reversible "follicle shock" and regrowth could occur within 4 months or so; otherwise hair transplants can be used for full restoration of the sideburn. Discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Wounds

Hopefully your wounds continue to improve. Scar revisions in this area are usually simple and successful. It can take 6-9 months for the traumatized follicles to recover and start producing hair. If you and your surgeon are not satisfied, hair transplants can be done. Your final  result should be very good.

Facelift scars

Stitches can break and wounds may open. The plastic surgeon is closing them to try and give you better eventual scars. Bad scars,red,raised and spread, after a facelift are unusual except in back of the ears. However, after a "mini" type facelift, you can get back scars everywhere. It is still way too early to see what you will end up with. It takes up to about a year for the scars to fade, mature.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Should turn out well

Those areas are can be frequently affected by delayed healing but the final result should be satisfactory.  Delayed healing or impaired healing can occur in 5% of surgeries or more.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Faith in the Facelift

Scarring should turnout well.  Scars mature slowly over a year.  The sideburns should grow back with time but if there is some hair loss then hair transplantation works well.

Dr. ES 

Wounds re-stitched after facelift

Sorry for your issues. Right now you need healing time. If after 6 months there is NO hair re growth than either a hair flap reconstruction or hair transplants will correct this issue. Discus with the surgeon. or seek additional opinions.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Wounds draining after facelift.

The wounds should be closed by now. The sideburn should be normal after healing as long as it was not removed by the surgeon. The sideburn can be reconstructed with grafting done properly. See an experienced facelift surgeon for a second opinion if you have lost trust in your surgeon.