Can a Facelift Be Tweaked Afterwards if One Side of my Face is Saggier?

I had a facelift in April, and looked great for several months, but now I see that the right side of my face looks old again -- it has more sag that the left, which is fuller. It is barely noticeable, but it is to me! I have a dimple on that side that was black and blue forever. Can this be tweaked at all? I find myself pulling my face up a tiny bit up by the cheekbone area toward the hairline, and that fixes it. also seem to have bags under eyes not present before, near top of cheek bone.

Revision after facelifts are common

+1

It is common to perform minor revisions after facelift procedures. Wait at least 6 months and if you are not happy, sit down with your surgeon and review your options.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

One Side of my Face is Saggier

+1

Although it is hard to tell without seeing your pictures what you are describing is possibly due to having less volume (fat0 on one side of your face.  You should consider fat grafting as an option.

Sam Naficy, MD

Can a Facelift be 'Tweaked' Afterward?

+1

Remember, perfect symmetry is not a goal. However, a minor revision can be done if there is more laxity on one side of the face after a facelift. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Facelift - Can a Facelift Be Tweaked Afterwards if One Side of my Face is Saggier?

+1

Yes, depending on (1) what you mean by "tweak," and (2) how extensive a procedure you're willing to undergo.  My general recommendation is to wait at least 6 months after a procedure such as then, and then to reassess.  Even though you see some asymmetry and can "correct" that by pulling up a bit on that side, that doesn't mean that the same thing can be accomplished that easily.  Most likely, an appropriate amount of tension was set at the first procedure, and maybe there's a reason why the tautness didn't last longer.  For sure, though, you should speak with your PS, explain what you'd like done, and then see what the options are.  You may decide to do something, or you may decide that you're happy enough with your result to leave it as is.  Either way, you win!

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

Yes, but not until at least 6 months have passed since the last Face Lift and it might be nothing more than a minor touch up.  You should have this discussion with your plastic and cosmetic surgeon.

Revision for sagging after facelift

+1

Your question is a good one. The important thing to remember during the post-operative healing process is that asymmetries inevitably occur but will typically resolve on their own after a period of six to twelve months.  Minor adjustments are sometimes necessary after this period, and you should make an appointment to see your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Facelift Sagging More on One Side

+1

Hi Susie,

Yes, facelift surgery is typically tailored to the needs of each patient. A various amount of tightening or skin/tissue modification is performed, which is different for each patient, and possibly each side. Keep in mind that everyone's face is asymmetric to a certain degree, which is normal. Slight asymmetries after surgery typically resolve with time, largely due to swelling.

Revision face lift surgery is generally not considered for at least several months, if not one year, after the originally surgery. If you haven't already, speak with your plastic surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift assymetries

+1

Absolutely!  The ideal recommendation would be to wait between 6 and 12 months, however.  The swelling and asymmetries may change greatly during that time period.  Occasionally the right side of a facelift ,ay be pulled slightly tighter than the left side.  Perhaps the attention would be directed more to the looser side with the next surgery.  Remember, however, that none of us are symmetric in any way, so don't expect perfection in the facial area any more than should be expected  in any other type of surgery.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Discuss this with your surgeon.

+1

It is absolutely normal and reasonable to have a touch up procedure to help you achieve everything you were looking for from your surgery.  Your timing for a revision is about right also.  Contact your surgery and schedule a visit to discuss this option.  Offices have differing policies regarding revisional surgery, but most charge a discounted surgeon's fee for this type of work but require that you bare the expense of the operating room and anesthesia.

Touch Up After Facelift

+1

5 months after your primary procedure, it is still possible to have slight asymmetries which could resolve spontaneously.  I would recommend waiting a full year prior to considering any type of revision work.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon