Will a Facelift Tighten Pores?

My pores are so large that my skin sags and looks like fine wrinkles. If I were to have a facelift, would it have an adequate effect on tightening them? I would assume they would soften, just like any other facial wrinkles. I am aware that a facelift is not a solution for acne scarring, but my main concern is pore size.

Pores and Facelift

+2

A facelift will improve some of the "sagging" you describe, but pore size and acne scarring will generally not be substantially improved.

This has been a vexing problem for facial plastic surgeons, often addressed with fairly aggressive procedures like full face dermabrasion or those that don't seem to work at all light superficial laser resurfacing.

The best results with the least amount of down time and expense appear to be with deep fractionated laser treatments combined with selective excision or elevation of deeply pitted scars.  Depending on your individual skin type and other related health concerns, this approach can be tailored specifically to you.

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

A face lift does not affect the fine lines or skin pore quality

+1

Thank you for the question.  A face lift procedure tightens and repositions the tissue deep to the face skin and in the process removes some excess skin that has resulted from the skin tightening process.  The skin quality itself: pore size, pigment, fine lines will not be changed by a face lift procedure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Facelifts Do NOT tighten pores - but Resurfacing procedures do

+1

NO, a facelift surgery will not tighten pores. Only a resurfacing procedure such as laser or chemical peels will do this. We personally prefer the Obagi Blue Peel due to its safety and quick recovery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

A facelift will not improve pore size

+1

Hi Sebastiana. No, a facelift will not affect pore size. It may improve the overall appearance of your face and neck skin and skin texture, but pore size itself will not change. 

James M. Pearson, MD

Facelift and pore sizes

+1

A facelift will not change your pore size. Try some medical grade skin care, like retin-A, or laser resurfacing, like CO2 pixel.

Irvin M. Wiesman, MD

Facelift and Pore Size

+1

There is no anatomic explanation on how a facelift can reduce pore size. Pore size is one of the most difficult areas to treat.  I have found intradermal Botox to be a good treatment for some patients with enlarged pores.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift will not affect pore size

+1

A facelift will not affect pore size. To affect the pore size, the skin would have to be stretched too far and would look too artificial. Deep acne pock scarring can be helped with a facelift by stretching the actual scar as well as dermabrasion to the actual affected skin.

Fat Grafting Is Better Than Facelifting For Pore Size.

+1

Since you describe laxity that causes wrinkling along the large pores you might see some improvement in the appearance from a facelift because the laxity will be less. I notice in many patients the a facelift will "iron out" irregularities especially along the cheek skin.

I would strongly suggest adding fat grafting to your procedure as this will transfer stem cells which appear to rejuvenate the skin and reduce pore size.

In summary, you will almost certainly improve your appearance with a facelift, but add fat grafting to also help pore size. The importance of fat grafting to add back missing volume in the face and rejuvenate the skin can not be overstated. After 15 years of doing facelifts, I feel it truly raises the bar to a new level.

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting, laser resurfacing, IPL are better options

+1

Some newer studies and results from physicians more recently are showing that these modalities may be more beneficial to reduce pore size for people. A facelift will not effectively do this but it can improve your wrinkles to an extent. Fat grafting has been shown by some to regenerate the skin including reducing the size of your pores. Stem cells in the transferred fat can rejuvenate the skin for years. Laser resurfacing through the creation of new collagen can also reduce the size of the pores as well. IPL is another newer treatment for pore size. Out of all the options fat grafting might be the best option for pore size and acne scarring. More and more surgeons are using fat grafting as a way to improve acne scarring.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many options for IMPROVING pores, but facelift is not one of them

+1

Hi Sebastiana,

You have already received excellent advice here, but I would like to throw my two cents worth in since this is a special interest area of mine.

As you can see there are many ways inlcuding lasers, dermabrasion, fillers, chemical peels and(my personal favorite) intra-dermal Botox to help improve the appearance of pores. I emphasized "improve" because that's really all they can do - make improvements on how the pores look, nothing can or should permanently eliminate pores. Pores are an integral part of our skin's anatomy and they serve a purpose throughout our lives, we need them but we don't need them to be so large and noticeable!

Lastly tightening skin does make certain wrinkles, scars and pores look better - but if that is done via a facelift you will most assuredly be unhappy with how unnatural and excessively tight your face would look.

Take care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD