Will a Facelift Tighten Pores?

My pores are so large that my skin sags and looks like fine wrinkles. If I were to have a facelift, would it have an adequate effect on tightening them? I would assume they would soften, just like any other facial wrinkles. I am aware that a facelift is not a solution for acne scarring, but my main concern is pore size.

Pores and Facelift

A facelift will improve some of the "sagging" you describe, but pore size and acne scarring will generally not be substantially improved.

This has been a vexing problem for facial plastic surgeons, often addressed with fairly aggressive procedures like full face dermabrasion or those that don't seem to work at all light superficial laser resurfacing.

The best results with the least amount of down time and expense appear to be with deep fractionated laser treatments combined with selective excision or elevation of deeply pitted scars.  Depending on your individual skin type and other related health concerns, this approach can be tailored specifically to you.

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pores and Facelift

Thank you for your help. The main objective of a facelift is not to address surface skin (epidermal) issues, but rather to correct deeper layer issues and alter facial contours. Therefore, if patients are looking to correct acne scarring, pores, or other issues on the skin itself, the facelift option should be avoided and substituted with laser resurfacing or full face dermabrasion.

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pores and facelift

Unfortunately, pore size won't be greatly improved with a facelift. It may reduce their appearance a bit, but probably not to the extend you'd like.

Facelift for large pores

A facelift will not tighten large pores. However, it will tighten loose skin and many times patients with acne scarring obtain benefits as well.  Without photos, it is impossible to know what procedure you would benefit from.  You may need some form of resurfacing as well as a facelift performed.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

A face lift does not affect the fine lines or skin pore quality

Thank you for the question.  A face lift procedure tightens and repositions the tissue deep to the face skin and in the process removes some excess skin that has resulted from the skin tightening process.  The skin quality itself: pore size, pigment, fine lines will not be changed by a face lift procedure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Facelifts Do NOT tighten pores - but Resurfacing procedures do

NO, a facelift surgery will not tighten pores. Only a resurfacing procedure such as laser or chemical peels will do this. We personally prefer the Obagi Blue Peel due to its safety and quick recovery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

A facelift will not improve pore size

Hi Sebastiana. No, a facelift will not affect pore size. It may improve the overall appearance of your face and neck skin and skin texture, but pore size itself will not change. 

James M. Pearson, MD

Facelift and pore sizes

A facelift will not change your pore size. Try some medical grade skin care, like retin-A, or laser resurfacing, like CO2 pixel.

Irvin M. Wiesman, MD

Facelift and Pore Size

There is no anatomic explanation on how a facelift can reduce pore size. Pore size is one of the most difficult areas to treat.  I have found intradermal Botox to be a good treatment for some patients with enlarged pores.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift will not affect pore size

A facelift will not affect pore size. To affect the pore size, the skin would have to be stretched too far and would look too artificial. Deep acne pock scarring can be helped with a facelift by stretching the actual scar as well as dermabrasion to the actual affected skin.