Facelift out of State?

Last facelift was 12 years ago and it's time for a touch up. My ps moved from TX to CA. We did phone consult (emailed pics) and he feels a touch up f/l is in order. I am 62 and he did a fabolous when I was 50. Do you see any problems w/me traveling and him not being in the same state? He still has many patients that travel from Houston to CA for his work. do you think its advantageous that he did the last one or would i be better off using someone local?

Traveling for facelift surgery

+1
I have mixed feelings. You have a surgeon you know and trust, and that is extremely valuable, and would be a good reason to use him again. On the other hand, I personally prefer my facelift and rhinoplasty patients to be willing and able to return for examination at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year to usher along the healing process, and sometimes this becomes a burden for the patient.

If you are willing to accept the commitment to traveling for aftercare, go for it!

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Out of State Facelift

+1

If you are happy with your doctor, there is no reason to change. That relationship will be worth the extra effort getting to california. Nothing is more calming than having confidence in your doctor

Best of luck

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Make the proper arrangements and travel to see you plastic surgeon

+1

If you were happy with your surgeon when you had your last facelift then I would recommend going to see him and have him do your next surgery.  You will want to stay in town for at least a week so he can do adequate followup in the early postoperative period.  I often have people travel to Montecito for surgery with me- they stay at a local hotel for at least the week, and nursing care can be arranged for them if necessary.  I'm certain your surgeon can make similar arrangements for you.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Travel

+1

Travel to the surgeon you had the first time.    You should spend a few days nearby, in case you develop a hematoma or flap compromise (not likely).

Facelift touch up surgery

+1

Dear LadyPorsche,

• I would stand by your man
  • It sounds like you were very happy with your results
  • Make it a vacation and relax for the week while you recover
  • Double check with his office on when it would be safe to fly home

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Out of state facelift

+1

We have many patients come in from out of town.  Our office usually has them stay in town for at least a week.  If you have a good relationship with your surgeon, that is a key element in success.  Make sure that you are both on the same page as to follow up.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

The Importance of the Doctor- Patient Relationship

+1

Your question addresses the most important aspect of choosing a Plastic Surgeon. Developing a strong doctor- patient relationship by creating trust and having in- depth knowledge of the patient's plan, her likes, dislikes, and a proven record of exemplary results is worth its weight in gold. Therefore it is not extreme to travel, even to California, to have the kind of experience you have had. I would travel and stay as long as your surgeon deems it necessary.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Out-of-State

+1

I frequently do facelifts on patients from out-of-state. In the last month I've done facelifts on patients from Iraq, Dubai, and New York. I suggest you return to the surgeon who previously took good care of you. Plan on staying about 10 days.

Face lift out of state

+1

There is nothing wrong with traveling out of state for a face lift, and in your case it is probably well advised, since you got a great result from your original surgery.  The key is to stay long enough near the surgeon to get you through the early recovery phase.  For my out of state patients I recommend one week to 10 days. Essentially the longer the better. Longer term complications after face lift surgery are uncommon, but make sure you have the resources to return to your doctor should they occur.

John Q. Cook, MD

Traveling to CA for Facelift

+1

I believe it to be very reasonable to travel to your PS who performed your original facelift as long as you can reasonably adhere to his follow-up protocol.  

Dr.  ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS