Facelift Scars?

I would like to know why in a surgical Facelift the women get the scar behind the ear and the men just before the ear?? A doctor told me that if the pull back the MEN skin form behind the hear the hair will disturb us because will grow behind the ear. Is it right? Second question: Is it really annoying or just a light disturbance?? Is it highly recommended not to to the incision (scar) behind the ears for men?? Or i can decide to get it in the same place as the women since its less visible?thanks

Facelift Scars different in men and women?

+1

Dear Cocoliso,

Thank you for your question.  Facelift incisions should be tailored to the patient, with many factors involed, including degree of tissue laxity, facial shape, how the hair is worn, and personal preferrence.  Facial hair is a consideration as well, but hair lasers can often be used to  minimize this as a problem.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scars

+1

Incision location shouldn’t be based on whether you are male or female. Rather, it should depend on your degree of facial aging, skin laxity, hairline, and other unique characteristics. The type of facelift being performed will also influence incision placement. I usually work to accommodate my patients’ aesthetic preferences whenever possible. Remember that scars are a tradeoff for surgery, and most people find the results well worth any minimal scarring. Usually, the incisions are hardly noticeable. Talk about your incision preferences with your doctor. Good luck!

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Incisions In Male & Female Patients

+1

The placement of a facelift incision is usually based on a patient’s facial features and can sometimes be based on their hair line as well; it is not always dependent on if they are male or female.  In the end the most effective incision done is based on what is best for the patient. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male face lift incisions

+1

The incision made by a surgeon depends on their preference. I use 3 different types of facelift incisions based on mild, moderate or severe skin laxity. My goals are to maximize skin removal and minimize the scars appearance in every day life. Some doctors probably do the same incision on everyone. Your question is a good one and I hope my answer helped. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Scar placement

+1

Good morning!

Good question- but the short answer is "it depends".

Scar placement is not necessarily a male/female issue- but more of a hairline issue as well as what kind of procedure the patient is having.  Some patients (both men and women) do very well with just an incision in front of the ear and perhaps a n incision heading behind the ear in the crease- not into the hairline.  Other patients require an extension of the incision into the hairline to give them the look that they desire.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD

Facelift for men.

+1

There are a few differences in facelift surgery for men. One is the location of the scar. We want to avoid placing hair bearing skin where you don't want it. it gives an abnormal look to the patient. For thos reason, we alter the incision. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars in men

+1

Many surgeons will place the facelift scars in men in front of the ear (the tragus) citing that the beard makes it more noticeable otherwise. I disagree with that and most the time I am able to place the scars on the edge of the tragus, similar to the way I do it in women. It ends up being an individual decision though, based on the man's skin features. usually the hairs can be destroyed from beneath the skin.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Facelift incision placement in men.

+1

The ideal location for facelift incisions in men is influenced by a variety of factors:

• the amount of skin excess that needs to be removed and redraped.
  • the degree of soft tissue laxity.
  • pre-existing hair pattern and density in the temple and side-burn region.
  • pre-existing ear shape.
  • pre-existing skin grooves and wrinkles around the ear.
  • patient and surgeon preference.

The incision placement is unique for each individual.  Consult with trusted facelift surgeons to determine what will work best for you.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift incisions in men

+1

Thank you for your question about male face lift incisions.

• The face lift incision depends on the man's hair and skin color.
  • Lasers get rid of dark hair quite predictably.
  • Lasers can't get rid of blond or grey hair.
  • Men with blond or grey hair need face lift incisions in front of the ear.
  • Men with dark hair can have a face lift incision hidden behind the tragus IF they have pre-surgery hair removal of side of the neck and cheek.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tragal hair in men?

+1

Old school doctrine necessitated pre tragal incisions to prevent hair bearing skin over the tragus. With laser hair removal, depilatory creams etc ... this is far less of an issue today. I make my male facelift incisions over the tragus and have had no issues postoperatively.

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon