Realistic Result of Scar from Facelift?

I'm a 54-year-old male who could use a facelift. However, I am afraid that the scars in front of the ears will become too obvious. I'm not a smoker and fair skinned. What is a realistic outcome for the scar in front of the ears?

Facelift Scars

Facelift scars can and should be placed so they are vitually imperceptible. With men,in particular,  it is critical to find a plastic surgeon with experience providing both men and women with natural looking results.  You should look closely at surgical scars so you know what to expect, and so you can assess the skill of your plastic surgeon. . You should also look for changes in the hairline ears, and sideburns. You want a natural looking result. A distorted hairline, or "pixie ears" can be a few things that can make surgery look obvious and unnatural.  During a consultation your plastic surgeon can discuss your goals with you and based on what you are hoping to achieve, can help you understand where surgical incisions will be placed and what scarring will look like short term and long term. 

Following surgery, many surgeons, myself included will offer complimentary V-Beam laser treatments to help speed healing and minimize scarring.  Most plastic surgeons also make  topical silicone gel treatments available to help minimize scarring. Close monitoring following surgery is imperative. If scars start start to thicken, they can be treated with steroid injection. But early treatment is key.  You don't want to wait until a scar is a problem before you begin receiving treatment. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scar can be hidden in the ear canal and almost invisible with good healing

Careful surgical technique by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon should create very well healed scars that are not conspicuos.

There is a specific technique for hiding the visible portion of the facelift scar inside the ear canal which can make the visible portion of the facelift scar almost invisible.

Excellent facelift scar in the hands of a good surgeon

The incision should be placed in little wrinkles in front of the ear for a male. The secret to having minimal to no scarring in the long run is in the technique of the surgery. When a good lift is done the deeper tissues are pulled tightly and skin just comes along with it. This way only the excess skin is excised and the incisions are closed with no tension at all, resulting in very thin lines. When the skin itself is pulled tight and sewn together, the risk of thicker, wider scars is much higher. The placement of the incision is also important so be sure to find someone that does a lot of facelifts and shows you pictures where you can see minimal to no scarring.

Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Incisions

One of the biggest concerns for patients, in particular short haired patients or men, is the appearance of the facial scar.  In men, I still perform a retrotragal incision (which is an incision behind the ear), as I find that the scar is much more difficult to see than a straight lined pretragal incision (incision in front of the ear).  The keys in a male facelift are concealing the scar, avoiding hair loss, and achieving a robust change to the face and neck.

Seek consultation from a surgeon who has experience with male facelifts.

In the attached video, a male patient with short hair received a full facelift.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scarring

Both men and women are concerned about the facelift scar in front of the ear. That is why we place the incision within the ear. This is especially important in men, who rarely style their hair so it covers the ear.

Facelift scars

For a male, it is critical to have inconspicuous scars especially in front of the ears. This requires excellent artistry on the part of the surgeon, a proper choice of placing the scar entirely in front o the ear or behind the tragus (the middle portion), absolutely no tension on the skin and with all tension placed on the deper layers of the tissue. Generally the "mini" procedures place more tension on the skin and are not as good for scars as are the proper full facelifts where the tissus are undermined wider and the tension is placed deeper.

Realistic Result of Scar from Facelift

Thank you for your question.  Face lift scars can be very inconspicuous.  Consult with a highly skilled surgeon and view many before and after photos. Scars can be improved with laser resurfacing, silicone products, and massage.  Unfavorable scars can be revised after a year. Best Wishes

A good facelift should have very hard to see incisions

Thanks for sharing.  Done properly facelift incisions should be very difficult to notice.  A well trained and experienced facelift surgeon will place the incisions very carefully so as to make them hard to see.  Also the experienced surgeon will know special techniques to close the incision under little tension to ensure proper healing.  Ask to see before and after photos and how many facelifts your surgeon has performed.  

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Facelift scarring in men

Most men are concerned about scarring, as they should be. However, I find that most men eventually have a barely perceptible scar for some reason. Of course, this varies from person to person. One comment I would like to make is that many surgeons here have suggested placing the incision in the tragal region ( the cartilage in front of the ear canal) in the ear canal itself. This is a pet peeve of mine. Very rarely can this be done without distorting or losing the tragus definition altogether. This is one of the telltale signs of a facelift and I feel it is worse than a barely visible scar in front of the tragus. Also, in men, hair bearing skin from the beard region is brought into the tragus, resulting in hair growth in a very unnatural place

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

The secret to a good facelift scar

In the hands of an appropriately trained and experienced plastic surgeon, a facelift scar should fade very quickly to become almost imperceptible. The key to this is closing the wound with little or no tension (tightness) across it.