Facelift Scar Red and Raised 11 Weeks Post-op

Facelift scar in front of one ear seems a little raised and red at 11 weeks. Should I be concerned about slightly raised area? I can't say I saw that it was raised previously. I expected that area to be imperceptable, as it seemed to be healing well, but now I see it slightly raised and still red. Does it get a bit raised and redder before better?

Red facelift scar

+2

Your scar is at the area of the tragus, a cartilage structure. There is a risk of infection of this structure with bacteria like Pseudomonas that can be present in the ear canal. You should definitely check with your surgeon. Red scars are more common around the earlobe and behind the ear.

Red raised facelift scar

+1

This is part of the normal healing process after a facelift. It does appear that there is some small, irritated scar tissue in the area of the tragus and a simple cortisone shot can simmer this down and reduce the redness.

Red Scar after Facelift

+1

The red, raised area may be an unusual localized skin infection which would be treated by opening the wound and taking antibiotics. If this is an early hypertrophic scar, steroid injections may be indicated. A post-op visit with your surgeon is necessary.

Raised scar after facelift

+1

That great photo is very helpful in providing an answer.  It looks like you have early scar hypertrophy, or bulkiness.  Often this subsides with time, but you should speak to your surgeon about possible treatments with steroid injections and/or silicone sheeting or silicone scar creams.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after a facelift

+1

You have apparently developed a hypertrophic scar on your ear after a facelift.

It is wise to follow up closely with your surgeon and point out this area of concern.  He may be able to do an injection to help the scarring, advise on creams to apply and proper wound care.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Facelift scar red and raised 11 weeks post-op

+1

Thanks for the excellent photo, it helps determine a recommendation for a plan of action. Choices are time, steroidal injections low dose, steroid creams, scar creams, laser therapy.

From MIAMI DR. B

You may have a "hypertrophic scar" involving the facelift incision in front of your left ear.

+1

This scar will likely improve with time. Scars are called "hypertrophic" when they're raised and red. Hypertrophic scars can be somewhat itchy and tender. You should address your concern with your surgeon, and ask if a steroid (dilute triamcinolone) injection might be helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness 11 weeks after a facelift

+1

Hi,

Occasionally this can happen with any incision. With more time this will probably improve but intense pulse light (IPL) treatments may help.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Facelift Scar

+1

From what I can see in the picture, the erythema (redness) appears to be at the level of the tragus (cartilage shield of the ear canal).  Prolonged erythema is not unusual in this area. You should discuss your concerns with your Surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness in facelift scar.

+1

Not everyone heals in the same time frame. A few patients may take 6 months or more for the last redness to go away. See your surgeon to get an opinion on the healing progress.